A 20-year-old Brooklyn deliveryman is clinging to life after being crushed by a falling tree while bicycling through Red Hook yesterday afternoon. The deliveryman, who worked for local Chinese restaurant Ling Gee, was biking on Richards Street near Pioneer Street around 1 p.m. when the tree fell on him. The Parks Department issued a statement calling the incident "an unfortunate accident," but it appears workers cutting down the tree may have been negligent.

"They didn’t block nothing,” local resident Julio Aviles tells CBS 2. The workers, who the Parks Department says were employed by a contractor hired by the city to clear trees damaged by Hurricane Sandy, had been working removing trees next to Coffey Park for days.

“They’ve been doing this for a good four to five days,” Greg Archer, a friend of the victim’s, tells CBS. "But there’s no barricades for anybody to not go through there. So I can see if it’s barricades for people not to go through there, but there’s no barricades. So anybody’s accessible to walk through there, and this situation is going to happen."

It's unclear if workers tried to alert the cyclist that the tree was coming down, or tried and failed to get his attention. A Parks spokesperson told us the department's standard safety protocols require cones, caution tape and a worker to flag approaching pedestrians.

Another deliveryman, Sherwin Bobb, tells ABC 7, "He passed me. Then I heard the noise and looked back, he was on the floor." A reporter asked Bobb, "Did you hear anyone say, 'Watch out, there's a falling tree?'" Bobb replied, "No, I didn't hear anything."

One witness tells the Daily News, "He was shaking but he wasn’t conscious. His eyes were rolled up in the back of his head. It was a horrible scene."

"There seems to be negligence on behalf of contractor," Geoffrey Croft, President of NYC Park Advocates, tells ABC 7. "Only two people didn't caution off the area."

The Parks Department press office has thus far declined to make public the name of the contractor hired to clear the trees. The company's contract has been suspended pending the outcome of the investigation.

Update: The Parks Department has identified the contractor as RML, a company based in New Jersey. Reached by phone, a receptionist at RML's office said no one was immediately available to comment.