The Saturday night blaze that claimed the life of a 14-year veteran firefighter was caused by an air conditioner cord that was "pinched."

Lt. Gordon Matthew Ambelas died while battling a fire in an apartment at 75 Wilson Street, a NYC Housing Authority building in Williamsburg. Ambelas was trapped in the apartment, which the Post and Daily News describe as being extremely cluttered.

Fire Commissioner Daniel Nigro said, "The fire originated at an air-conditioning unit electrical cord, which was pinched between a bed frame and the wall of Apartment 19B." An FDNY source told the News, "It’s difficult when there’s ‘Collyers’ mansion’ conditions," a reference to the mansion, owned by two brothers, famously packed with 140 tons of items.

Neighbors told the Post that the apartment's tenant, "Angel Pagan ran a home-based haircutting business." One said, "He had a lot of clutter. He had a lot of things in his apartment. It was definitely overstuffed and you actually had trouble sometimes entering the apartment because he had so much stuff," while another said, "He had a lot of wiring in there, a lot of electronics. He had two air conditioners, fans, TVs, a fish tank, a radio system."

Pagan, 51, denied that he was a hoarder and blamed the NYCHA for faulty outlets that didn't work—which prompted him to "run a cord from his living room to his bedroom, connecting his TV, A/Cs and other electronics." Per the News, "The bedroom air conditioner was plugged into an extension cord that was also powering his television, DVD player, VCR and living room chandelier." (Pagan's three dogs died in the fire; their bodies were found in the bathroom.) The Post, though, has photos showing many, many burned items in the apartment.

Ambelas' death was the first in-the-line-of-duty FDNY fatality since 2012. The Staten Island resident leaves behind a wife and two children.

His colleague Eric Bischoff said, "We had a tragic fire, and Matt, true to who he is, led these men from the front with bravery. He was unwavering in his efforts to find and save lives. He died a hero. That’s how he lived. And we will never forget him... Matt died last night a hero. He lived every day as a hero." The FDNY released funeral details: