Earlier today, Julian Assange, the founder of WikiLeaks, was accused of molestation and rape in Sweden. But then the Swedish prosecutors changed their minds! At first, according to the Guardian, "Swedish authorities have issued an arrest warrant" and a spokeswoman for Swedish prosecutors "said Assange should contact the Swedish police for questioning about the accusations of molestation and rape in two separate cases 'so that he can be confronted with the suspicions'." However, Assange says, via the WikiLeaks Twitter, "the charges are without basis and their issue at this moment is deeply disturbing." And now, the warrant has been revoked!
Per a statement on the Swedish prosecution's website, Chief Prosecutor Eva Finne said the 39-year-old is "no longer wanted" and "is not suspected of rape." WikiLeaks, via its Twitter, had suggested this was "dirty tricks" reprisal, perhaps in retaliation for its release of classified government documents, many of them belonging to the U.S. and related to different war efforts, which has made Assange a target of U.S. authorities. And last week he said that the group would release 15,000 pages of U.S. war documents.
WikiLeaks also Tweeted, "Expressen [the Swedish publication that first reported about the arrest warrant] is a tabloid; No one here has been contacted by Swedish police. Needless to say this will prove hugely distracting."
The official WikiLeaks statement is, "On Saturday 21st of August, we have been made aware of rape allegations made against Julian Assange, founder of this project and one of our spokespeople. We are deeply concerned about the seriousness of these allegations. We the people behind WikiLeaks think highly of Julian and and he has our full support. While Julian is focusing on his defenses and clearing his name, WikiLeaks will be continuing its regular operations." And below, an interview Assange did with Stephen Colbert from earlier this year: