The Brooklyn mother of four suspected of trying to abort and poison her husband's lovechild told investigators she would never hurt a kid. Prosecutors told the Daily News that 38-year-old Kisha Jones said she didn't trick her husband's pregnant mistress, Monique Hunter, into taking a labor-inducing medicine, nor did she try to give the child tainted breast milk after his premature birth: "I know [Hunter] and I don't like her, but I wouldn't hurt a baby like that."

Cops say that Jones somehow obtained a blank prescription pad from the office of Dr. Ray Rezano and used it to forge an order for the drug Cytotec, which induces labor. The physician denied involvement with the patient or the suspect, and said that Jones probably stole the pad. Jones is accused of then calling her husband's seven-month-pregnant lover using a "spoofing" program that made her number appear that of the woman's doctor and telling the woman she needed to take the medicine so her child wouldn't have Downs syndrome (the Daily News has a lot more on spoofing). Hunter, 25, took the drug and went into labor. According to WCBS, she and her child, Anthony Jr., are lucky to have survived after ingesting Cytotec. "If it's not done in a medically supervised fashion, or the doctor doesn't know that it's being administered, it can cause uterine rupture," said Dr. Max Gomez. "It can be very dangerous, both for the baby and for the mother."

The Post
couldn't get into the neonatal intensive care unit to see Anthony Jr., but the tabloid reports that boy — who was born about 11 weeks early — probably weighed only two to three pounds at birth, and "is likely strapped to a ventilator, being fed intravenously and living in a temperature-controlled incubator for premature babies." The paper says his chance of survival is now at around 95 percent. Cops are still trying to identify the man who brought two 20-ounce bottles filled with a possible poison to the hospital after Jones told doctors someone would drop off some breast milk.

The public defender representing Jones — who apparently appeared "gaunt and anxious-looking" during her arraignment — pointed out that she has no criminal record, though WCBS spoke with neighbors who thought "she'd been in and out of jail." For her part, Hunter has fled town to keep safe, even though the suspect is behind bars. She's left Brooklyn because she's scared," her father said. "She said she don't want to hang around because she don't want nobody doing anything, and I don't blame her."