We're looking to grow our team! In addition to the digital reporter positions, we're seeking a news editor with digital experience. Please click on the link below to apply.
News Editor, Gothamist
Gothamist, now part of WNYC for over a year, is looking for a full-time NEWS EDITOR. The ideal candidate will have experience working in a fast-paced digital editing position. In addition to having a strong background in digital journalism, we're looking for someone who has a keen eye for detail and is at ease overseeing breaking NYC news coverage as well as shepherding longer features from pitch to publication.
As an Editor, you will be responsible for helping to identify stories for Gothamist.com from a myriad of sources, including the WNYC newsroom and shows. We're looking for an exceptional communicator and an energetic collaborator, with an eye for trending items and stories other outlets may ignore. The ability to encourage thoughtful, sharp writing and insights from reporters while meeting deadlines is also key.
We're looking for open-minded collaborators who are excited about the opportunities that a combined Gothamist/WNYC newsroom can offer in providing a definitive, authentic take on news and life in New York.
You should also be eager to think about how Gothamist continues to serve its audience of New Yorkers who want to be savvy about city issues—and present fresh ideas on how to reach those who might not yet have realized Gothamist was the resource they needed.
- Edit stories from reporters from Gothamist and WNYC as well as freelance contributors
- Brainstorm coverage areas across news, culture, and food, and assign stories
- Write multiple stories for Gothamist weekly, as needed
- Edit copy for the site as needed
- Manage story publication as needed
- Coordinate and manage content for social media platforms, newsletters, and other Gothamist & WNYC products
Necessary skills and experience:
- At least 5-7 years leading a content team as an editor for a digital or print publication
- Proven experience as writer and reporter
- Deep knowledge of New York City
- Ability to multitask and take/give direction in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple deadlines
- Strong analytical and organizational skills
- Familiarity of social media best practices
- Experience managing writers and freelancers
- An interest in NYC's food and dining scene, and how this coverage can intersect with broader issues, a plus
- Photo editing skills a plus
- Full-time position (35 hours/week) with competitive compensation package
- Eligible for full insurance benefits (medical, vision, dental, prescription)
- Eligible for 403(B) Retirement Plan
- Fantastic paid time off package including: vacation days, personal/sick days, and paid holidays
If you don't meet all the bullet points, but think you'd be a great candidate—apply and tell us why! Please include a resume, a letter expressing interest and links to clips. (Full listing here; APPLY HERE)
New York Public Radio is an equal opportunity employer. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.