An upstate NY cop has been suspended without pay after he was captured on camera threatening and slapping a person. Saratoga County Deputy Shawn R. Glans, 48, can be seen in the video below demanding to search Colin Fitch’s vehicle. "You wanna f**king resist?" Glans says several times before appearing to slap Fitch (you can hear the sound very clearly), who refuses to allow him to search his car without a warrant. "You like that, huh? I can get a lot more intense, believe me...I’ll rip your f**king head off and sh*t down your neck."

Fitch and his friend Adam Roberts, who is the one who took the video, told Photography Is Not A Crime that Fitch had purchased a .22 rifle earlier on Friday and had left in the back seat of his car. When they came back to the car after a party, Glans was there demanding to search his car. According to Albany Times-Union, Glans claims they were wearing dark clothes and acting suspiciously, although they broke no laws.

The Saratoga County Sheriff's Office referred to the incident in a statement as an "inappropriate interaction," adding that Glans had been "suspended without pay effective immediately pending the outcome of the investigation and possible disciplinary action." There is now a Facebook page dedicated to trying to get criminal charges brought against Glans.

Back in 1999, Glans, who has been a police officer for 27 years, was the subject of a $60 million lawsuit after he smashed his patrol car head-on with 45-year-old Douglas H. McEachron's car in March 1996. McEachron suffered critical brain injuries and lost his sight, and a jury found Glans to be negligent. The city and the county ultimately agreed to pay a $6 million settlement to McEachron’s family.

Glans defended his actions to the Times-Union, saying he would do the same thing over again:

"You saw the video. It doesn't look good," Glans told the Times Union. "I'm all about doing the right thing. I had to go to that point because of the factors that came into play. There was a gun that was involved (that) I spotted in the vehicle."

Asked if he would have handled the matter the same way again, Glans said he would, but not if he knew it was being filmed. He acknowledged that he did not know the incident was being videotaped.

"I was concerned. It was a public safety issue," the sergeant said. "If I had to do it all over again ... I'd probably do the same thing. If I knew the camera was there, no, because it does look bad."