[Update Below]According to the Washington Post, Florida Special Prosecutor Angela Corey will announce this afternoon that former neighborhood watch captain George Zimmerman will be charged in the fatal shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin. The news comes a day after Zimmerman's lawyers held a bizarre press conference to announce they were no longer representing Zimmerman, due to the fact they haven't been able to contact him lately. It's not yet clear exactly what charges Zimmerman will be facing.
According to ABC, the decision by Corey is expected to be formally announced at a 6 p.m. news conference in Jacksonville, Fla. We'll update this post as more information is released.
Last week, Sanford Mayor Jeff Triplett revealed that the city had begun to prepare for this announcement by having the city's emergency management team meet regularly with the U.S Department of Justice to construct a plan. "You always prepare for the worst and hope for the best," Triplett said. "We're planning for the 'what-if' case scenario, and that would be to make sure that all of our citizens get the protection they pay their taxes for."
Despite the fact his lawyers said yesterday they haven't been able to reach him, at least one person claims to have spoken to Zimmerman directly this week: Fox News host Sean Hannity confirmed rumors that he had spoken to Zimmerman in an off-the-record phone conversation Monday. "For a few weeks we have been pursuing an interview with Mr. Zimmerman to give him a chance to tell his side of the story," Hannity said on his show. "Now yesterday I was contacted by an individual that we in fact believe was George Zimmerman.”
Earlier today, Attorney General Eric Holder commented on the case during a speech at the Rev. Al Sharpton's National Action Network Convention in Washington, D.C., noting that the Justice Department was assisting local authorities in their probe and conducting a parallel investigation that he promised would be "thorough and independent."
Update 3:30 p.m.: According to Herald writer Frances Robles, "Source telling Miami Herald that there will be just one criminal charge filed."