Police are looking for the driver of a four-door red sedan who they say mowed down a teenager as he crossed Riverside Drive at 115th Street, in the crosswalk, before speeding from the scene. [See below for update.]

The 19-year-old, who DNAinfo reports attends nearby Columbia University, was transported to St. Luke's Hospital early Monday morning in critical condition with "severe injuries to his head and lower extremities," according to the NYPD. Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce told reporters at an unrelated press conference that the victim is in surgery this afternoon.

Alarming surveillance footage shows the teenager walking into the crosswalk at 115th Street just before the moment of impact. It is not yet clear if the pedestrian was crossing with a green light, an NYPD spokesman said.

Police responded to the intersection just before 12:30 this morning, where they discovered the unnamed victim with head and body trauma. A preliminary investigation determined that the driver continued driving north after striking him.

This is the first pedestrian injury at this intersection in 2017, according to Vision Zero data.

Earlier this year, City Councilman Ydanis Rodriguez introduced legislation to create a hit-and-run reward fund with cash rewards up to $1,000 for information, as well as an AMBER Alert-inspired system that would notify all New Yorkers every time a hit-and-run incident occurs.

The legislation followed a spike in hit-and-runs in the first months of 2017.

Anyone with information in regards to this incident is asked to call the NYPD's Crime Stoppers Hotline at 1-800-577-TIPS (8477) or for Spanish, 1-888-57-PISTA (74782). The public can also submit their tips by logging onto the Crime stoppers website at WWW.NYPDCRIMESTOPPERS.COM or by texting their tips to 274637 (CRIMES) then enter TIP577. All calls will be kept strictly confidential.

[Update 6/7]: Police arrested 28-year-old Brayard Arno of New Jersey on Tuesday in connection with the crash. According to the NYPD, Arno has since been charged with leaving the scene, as well as driving without a license. The victim remains in critical condition.

Arno, who turned himself in early Tuesday, has had his license suspended three times in New York, DNAInfo reports. He was arrested as recently as May 14th for driving without a license in Manhattan, according to the outlet.