[UPDATE BELOW] Emergency workers are still searching for two missing crew members of a tug boat that crashed into a construction barge under the Tappan Zee Bridge Saturday morning. The collision caused the 84-foot craft to sink into the Hudson River, leading to the confirmed death of one man.
— Fox5NY (@fox5ny) March 12, 2016
The News reports that Paul Amon, 52, of Bayville, N.J. was pronounced dead on the bank of the Hudson yesterday after Tarrytown firefighters pulled him from the river. Workers continued to look for two other missing crew members, but conditions forced them to stop underwater dives by 7:30 p.m. Saturday. Crews were again searching the waters near the Tappan Zee at 10 a.m. Sunday.
"He loved the water, loved his family. Anything to do with the water—fishing, sailing. He was just happy to provide so his family could do what they wanted to do, and keep living on the water," Amon's daughter, Ericka, told ABC.
"Obviously this is just a tragedy, a tragic accident," Governor Cuomo said during a press conference Saturday. "There’s no point of speculating who did what...you have three people who left for work and aren’t going to come home." Cuomo also stressed that things could have been far worse—thirteen workers were aboard the barge when it was struck by the tugboat, but suffered no injuries.
The sunken tugboat, which was named Specialist, had a history of legal troubles. Last year, Santos G. Rivera, a deckhand, sued its captain for injuries suffered while he had been working aboard the vessel. A metal cable allegedly operated by the captain broke Rodriguez's legs, causing injuries that "required multiple surgeries" and "extensive hospitalization," Lohud reports. It's unclear whether Amon had been the Specialist's captain at that time.
[UPDATE 3:56 p.m.]The Daily News reports that a second body has been recovered from the tugboat crash. Timothy Conklin, 29, was found dead in the Hudson River. Emergency workers are still searching for 56-year-old Staten Island resident Henry Hernandez.