Two women were saved from a burning East Village apartment Sunday morning by firefighters after a discarded cigarette possibly started the blaze. The women, who were unconscious when firefighters reached them, both appeared to be in their twenties.

Firefighters broke through a back door at 92 St. Marks Place, before proceeding through the living room and into the bedrooms, where they recovered two unconscious women. The FDNY tells Gothamist that rookie firefighter Marlon Sahai found both women, who were both suffering from smoke inhalation. One of the women was taken to Cornell Hospital and the other to Beth Israel, where both were in serious condition. One of the women suffered burns from the fire, but both are expected to live.

“There was a lot of smoke,” firefighter Michael Demeo told the Post. “You couldn’t see your hand in front of your face.”

A third victim jumped out of his first floor window, but only suffered minor injuries. According to the Post, investigators are focusing on the living room couch as the possible source of the fire.