Two waiters at a restaurant in Mexico were arrested and charged with the murder of Malcolm Shabazz, the 28-year-old grandson of civil rights activist Malcolm X, who died last week.

Shabazz was killed in Mexico City on Thursday, and his friend, labor activist Miguel Suarez, said that a physical confrontation ensued after the restaurant's manager demanded they pay a $1200 bill and that one man was armed with a gun. Suarez was taken to another room and when he came out, he found Shabazz injured outside. Shabazz died from blunt force injuries.

The Mexico City Attorney General held a press conference. From the NY Times:

The pair disputed a tab that came to around $1,200, Mr. Rios Garza said. Two young women had approached them on the street and invited them to the bar, but although Mexican newspapers have identified the bar as a known brothel, [prosecutor Rodolfo Fernando] Rios Garza waved off questions regarding prostitution. Many of the bars in that rundown area charge customers for even a conversation with their female employees, according to Mexican news reports.

Mr. Shabazz consumed several drinks; a prosecutor’s office statement said he had a blood alcohol concentration more than three times the legal limit for driving in most American jurisdictions. But the prosecutor, while not offering details on how much liquor was consumed, said the bill was excessive and was part of the effort to rob Mr. Shabazz and his companion.

He said he found no evidence that race or any motive other than robbery was in play, and there was no indication that the attackers knew Mr. Shabazz came from a famous family.

Shabazz, who was 12 when he set a fire that killed his grandmother Betty Shabazz (he served four years), had been writing books and working on activist issues. Funeral arrangements are still being made, but his family issued a statement, "We are deeply saddened by the passing of our beloved El Hajj Malcolm El Shabazz. To all who knew him, he offered kindness, encouragement and hope for a better tomorrow. Although his bright light and boundless potential are gone from this life, we are grateful that he now rests in peace in the arms of his grandparents and the safety of God. We will miss him."