Columbia Presbyterian Hospital enjoys one of the best reputations in the country. So, when you hear that a man died of Legionnaire's disease while being treated there, you're perturbed. Especially since the Legionnaire's outbreak was apparently in the hospital's water supply, and the patient had water sprayed into his throat for sleep apnea. Since Legionnaire's can be especially harmful to people who had weak immune systems, having Legionnaire's bacteria in a hospital is very bad. Columbia Presbyterian is now using bottled water while their water pipes are being sterilized, but state health officials are now looking into another Legionnaire's death at Columbia Presbyterian from earlier this year.
And then there was the flesh-eating bacteria that killed a 10 year old girl in the Bronx. School officials had to send letters to parents saying the disease isn't easily spread, but, still, flesh eating anything is definitely a greenlight to freak out.