Two toddler siblings who died within minutes of each other in the Bronx this week were beaten to death, according to autopsies conducted by the Office of the Medical Examiner. Initially, it was reported that Olivia Gee, 2, and her brother Micah, 3, had died of asthma attacks, but the autopsies revealed "blunt impact injuries" on both of their torsos, and police are now investigating their deaths as homicides.

Police were called to Olivia and Micah's home at Van Cortlandt Park South near Gouverneur Avenue at around 1:20 a.m. on Monday after their mother's boyfriend, Novell Jordan, 31, reported the children were having trouble breathing. Both were pronounced dead in under an hour, and though their mother, Jade Spencer, 31, told police the children had severe asthma, investigators reportedly noticed bruising on both their bodies.

Both Spencer and Jordan were questioned by police, but were released. Jordan told police he heard the children wheezing, and eventually woke Spencer up. Spencer gave Micah Albuterol to help him breathe, according to the Daily News, then transported both children to Montefiore Medical Center, where they died.

Spencer has been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons, according to ABC 7. Jordan has asked for an attorney. Neither have been charged.

The city is looking into whether the family had any prior contact with the Administration for Children's Services, but neighbors say the children appeared to have been well cared for. "They were always well groomed, well taken care of, good-natured children," Charles M. Zsebedics, who manages the Amalgamated Housing Cooperative where the children lived, told the Times. "Whatever the circumstances, no, I would never imagine something like this would take place."

The ACS referred us to a previous statement from Mayor Bill de Blasio, who said, "Our city is mourning the loss of two young children in a tragedy Monday in the Bronx. As a parent, it’s very painful for me to think about the death of these two children and what the family is going through right now. The NYC Police Department and Administration for Children’s Services will continue to investigate this tragedy."