Maybe it's just the law of numbers at work, given the amount of construction - new and renovation - that is happening in the city. But in the past hour, there have been four separate incidents of buildings/scaffolding collapsing:
- Queens: A wall collapse on 109th Street of building under construction; two people reported injured.
- Manhattan: A scaffolding collapse at Franklin & Greenwich; unknown if there are injuries.
- Manhattan: Falling debris at 53 Orchard Street off a building under construction onto a car; unknown if there are injuries.
- Brooklyn: A partial collapse of a building on Quincy and Stuyvesant; a minor structural collapse of a vacant building; unknown if there are injuries
And according to the Gothamist Newsmap, there were other collapses this morning.
Update: Of course, the collapses must be because of the wind! Two more:
- Manhattan: Scaffolding collapse at 225 Rector Street.
Brooklyn: An all-hands scaffolding collapse West 9th Street at Bay Parkway; apparently there's 100 feet of collapsed scaffolding at the old Marlboro movie theatre that is under demolition. No injuries so far.