[UPDATE BELOW] Yesterday morning, a 175-pound bear cub was spotted wandering into a residential neighborhood in the state's capitol, triggering a day-long bearwatch and raising questions about the NY State DEC's plan to euthanize the bear.

The bear climbed up a tree near a house and has been there since yesterday afternoon. The cub is a repeat offender, and according to Albany TWC News, "It is DEC policy to kill the bear as soon as it comes out of the tree. The bear has violated the DEC's three-strike limit on animals in the city. This same bear has wandered into the city on two different occasions, and placed back into the woods each time. This latest trip out of the woods is the bear's third strike."

This morning, DEC officers fired tranquilizer darts at the bear, which they hit and has since been sleeping:

DEC officers tried to nab the bear yesterday, with no luck but a lot of commotion. One resident told he Times-Union that he heard shots and saw "10 officers, many toting guns, running from the area of the school toward Rose Court and Clayton Place... 'I thought it was a school shooting. Nobody knew what police were doing for awhile.'"

Today happens to be Animal Advocacy Day in New York. NY Assembly Member Linda Rosenthal (D-UWS), a member of the Committee on Agriculture, said, "It is my sincere hope that this situation can be resolved without any further harm to the bear. There are humane options short of killing the bear that strike the proper balance between public safety and humane animal protection... At this point, the bear has been shot, tranquilized and stuck in a tree for nearly 24 hours; it must be hungry and terrified. The DEC must continue to exercise restraint and patience in dealing with this terrified cub."

Rosenthal says she's "reached out to wildlife experts and sanctuaries that are ready, willing and able to help, and I will continue to remain in close contact with the Governor’s office and the DEC.”

The DEC's press release explained, "If there is not a safe way to get the bear out of the area, DEC will try to tranquilize and relocate the bear into more suitable settings such as the Catskills or Adirondacks. DEC tags relocated bears so it can track the bears' movements. DEC attempts to relocate each nuisance bear at least twice," but added:

Unfortunately, relocation does not always work and a nuisance bear sometimes travels great distances, as much as 100 miles, to return to food sources in urban and suburban settings.

A bear that repeatedly returns to urban and suburban settings will continue to return after each relocation. In these cases, a bear becomes a threat to public safety when it looks for food in populated neighborhood trash cans, bird feeders and other sources.

Euthanizing a bear is always a last resort. We never want to harm wildlife. We exhaust all possible options first and make a determination if the bears are a threat to public safety.

UPDATE, 5 p.m.: The bear fell from the tree around 1 p.m. today, and the DEC announced over Twitter that they would be euthanizing it, and they've now updated to say their wildlife biologists "assessed the bear and determined that for humane and nuisance reasons, the bear needed to be put down today. Biologists determined the bear sustained a serious visible injury, most likely from being struck by a car."