Last night, the NYPD revealed that NJ resident Pedro Hernandez was arrested and charged for the 1979 murder of 6-year-old Etan Patz. Now, it's reported that he has been taken to Bellevue Hospital. A source told the Post, "He has been talking about killing himself." The Daily News reports, "Hernandez, a disabled former construction worker, was in need of medication, the sources said," while the NY Times says he was placed on suicide watch.

Today is the 33rd anniversary of Etan's disappearance from a Soho street, and yesterday's news that a man had implicated himself in the boy's death marked the beginning of a surprising chapter in the sad saga. Hernandez's arrest is also the first time anyone has been arrested in connection with the boy's disappearance. According to police, Hernandez had confessed to relatives that he had killed a child in New York City over the past decades, but a tipster only called the NYPD after the FBI and NYPD went back to a Soho basement to look for possible remains (none were found) last month.

Hernandez was scheduled to be arraigned later today. According to NBC New York, "He is [currently] in isolation and receiving a medical evaluation at the hospital. Another source told NBC 4 New York that this evaluation is precautionary and that such extra steps in a case like this are often routine."

No motive has been declared and it seems unlikely that Etan's remains will be found. Hernandez allegedly said that he lured the little boy, who was walking a few blocks along Prince Street from his parents' loft to the bus stop, with the promise of a soda and then strangled him the basement of a bodega. Hernandez, then 18, had only worked at the bodega for a month; while he had been questioned during the initial investigation, he was apparently never considered a suspect. He moved to NJ shortly after Etan's disappearance.

A source told the Daily News, "He was repeatedly asked why he did it, and he couldn’t give us an answer. He said he had no idea why he did this." Police Commissioner Ray Kelly, though, said that when Hernandez confessed to police—his confession in NJ was videotaped and he also wrote a confession—he seemed relieved. It's also been reported than Hernandez, who is married and has a 20-year-old daughter, has cancer.