A supermarket employee was horrifically maimed on Sunday when a Stop & Shop bottle return machine ate his hand. The 45-year-old victim was apparently trying to clean the machine at the Flatbush Avenue store at 4:15 p.m. when it mysteriously clamped down on his right hand, mangling it so badly that could not be saved, an FDNY spokesperson told us.

“He was cleaning the machine or trying to take out some glass,” a store security guard told the Daily News. “It was crazy here. A lot of people were trying to watch. I tried to move them away.” The man was transported to Kings County Hospital and listed in stable condition.