About 80 students at PS 20 in Flushing were became ill after allegedly drinking out of the school's water fountains. A few children began complaining of stomach aches around 1:30 p.m. today, and students told NY1 that those who drank out of the water fountains began "throwing up and falling down." Now the DOE says the fountains appeared to be contaminated with air conditioning chemicals.
Ambulances transported 51 students to local hospitals this afternoon, though none had serious enough injuries to require hospital admission. The school's air conditioning system was reportedly not working this morning, and workers called in to investigate said, "it looks like some of the air conditioner chemicals went into the water supply from the roof." WCBS reports parents were informed that a private contractor accidentally flushed propylene glycol into the water supply, but that the propylene is not toxic. Both the Department of Environmental Protection and the Hazardous Material Division of the NYPD are on the scene.