Earlier this morning, smoke conditions between the Bedford and 1st Avenue stops on the L train line caused multiple trains and stations to be evacuated. No one was injured in the morning incident (although a lot of people were understandably freaked out), and the fire was put out pretty quickly by the FDNY. However, that doesn't mean we're out of the woods yet: the L train still isn't running between 8th Avenue in Manhattan and Brooklyn as of 4:30 p.m., and it's unclear whether it will be back in time for today's rush hour commute.

The MTA tells us that the electrical fire originated near a manhole in the vicinity of 14th Street and Avenue D around 9:15 a.m. Thursday morning. The fire was put out by the FDNY, but the cause is still unknown.

"As of this moment repairs are being completed, after which we will restore power and then run test trains through the tunnel in order to restore service as soon as possible," an MTA spokesperson said. "In the meantime as an alternate, customers are still advised to use A/C or J train service to/from Broadway Junction."

You can also take the B62 bus service to/from the following stations: Jay St-MetroTech A/C/F or R train service; Court Square for E/M or 7 train service; Marcy Av for J and M train service. Straphangers can also transfer between the L and the M at Myrtle Avenue for service to Manhattan. From Lorimer Street, you can take the G.

As for whether it'll be back for rush hour, the spokesperson added, "[We're] trying to bring it back as soon as we can."

@gregmocker #Smoke in the #Ltrain #EastRiver #tunnel. It has spread to #Bedford Av #subway #train #station.

A video posted by Dean迪安 (@wildgoldean) on

A 31-year-old Williamsburg resident was on his way to work aboard one of the smoke-filled trains that was evacuated: "I was in the last car of the train," he said. "We were getting close to the 1st Avenue stop and the car started to smell of burning and then filled with smoke. It was right at the level where everyone was very nervous but no one was visibly freaking out."

"We pulled into the station and someone yelled, 'Everyone get off this train,'" he continued. "But since I'm in the last car, there was an endless mass of people and distance between us and the exit, and there's a lot of smoke in the station. It was very claustrophobic...People started yelling at the crowd to walk faster."