A Spring Valley man was electrocuted earlier today attempting to save a 5-year-old boy who was shocked by a live wire. 50-year-old father of four David Reichenburg died assisting the boy's father, who also was trying to aid his injured son, after the boy grabbed a live downed power line on his street. The boy remains in critical condition in a Westchester hospital, while the boy's father has been treated and released, LoHud reports.

The wire was knocked down by winds from Irene at Merrick Drive and Union Road. A firefighter responding to the incident was injured himself after a large tree limb fell and struck him in the jaw. He is currently in stable condition. Con Ed has stated that residents should keep clear of any power lines they see, and to treat them as if they are live.