A 28-year-old mother of two on Staten Island is charged with endangering the welfare of a minor after her Oxycodone pills wound up in a jelly sandwich that was passed to her neighbor's daughters after school on Wednesday. "It was a simple accident. It was my fault. It wasn’t carelessness on my part, it was an accident on my part," Denise Manzella tells the Advance. But she also thinks the incident is being blown a bit out of proportion, giving the paper quote that perfectly underscores why lawyers advise their clients not to talk to press.

Manzella says that even if the girls ate the sandwich, they surely would have spit it out, because the pills "would have hurt their teeth." Thankfully, it didn't come to that, because their vigilant grandmother Margaret Gutzan spotted Manzella's daughters, ages 3 and 5, passing the sandwich through a fence between their yards to her granddaughters, ages 3 and 7. One of her granddaughters is allergic to peanut butter, so Gutzan seized the sandwich to check its ingredients, discovering the pills. Manzella, a bartender, says she takes Oxycodone for a bladder condition called interstitial cystitis, to cope with past domestic violence injuries, and because of a childhood car accident.

Gutzan and her daughter called police, who charged Manzella on Thursday. (She wasn't arraigned until Saturday because she was hospitalized for what Manzella describes as "a nervous breakdown.) She claims that she left the medication on top of the microwave while taking her 5-year-old to the bathroom, and while she was gone the 3-year-old, who was helping her make the sandwiches, added the pills. She claims her daughter was trying to help Mommy take her meds, but instead the tots wound up outside with the spiked sandwiches. "My 3-year-old said, 'Mommy, I don’t want to go to jail. I made that for you,'" Manzella tells the Advance.