Early Sunday morning, a 19-year-old student fell to his death from the St. George Hotel. According to Brooklyn Heights Blog readers, the body of Michael Simmons was found on Henry Street around 2 a.m. And friends of the victim tell the Daily News that Simmons had consumed magic mushrooms earlier in the evening.
The News reports, "There was no criminality, said police, who had not determined whether it was a suicide or an accident, or whether drugs were involved. An autopsy is being performed." But the friends say he took mushrooms with some other people, "The group split up shortly before Simmons fell, added the friends, who declined to give their names."
Simmons was studying at the New York Conservatory for Dramatic Arts and had been living at the St. George, which offers NYC student housing. One friend said, "He was a very talented actor. He was such a happy person. He always had a smile on."