[Update Below]Teens have long been dedicated to wreaking havoc upon NYC's most historic institutions, whether it is 114-year-old Civil War memorials or the 9/11 Museum & Memorial. It's one thing for a few individuals to get kicked out of a place because of some childish shenanigans—it's another thing for an entire high school to be banned.

But that's just what allegedly happened at the Guggenheim. According to the Post, a group of 80 kids from Science Skills Center High School in Brooklyn was kicked out of the museum last month after 20 minutes inside because "a student allegedly spat off the museum’s swirling rotunda lobby and another threw a penny off its winding walkway." The Post says that school officials were subsequently informed that they weren't welcome back anytime soon. [Update: the Guggenheim denies this]

If that sounds like a bit of an extreme response to a case of kids-will-be-kids, then the Post agrees with you. They interviewed several sympathetic adults, and a couple kids, who all imply that there's an undercurrent of racism to the decree.

"This is the first time since I have been there that there are a majority of black students...and the first time I am hearing about a school being banned," Asha Walker, who has distributed audio guides at the museum for the last two years, told them. "But it’s not the first time I am hearing about kids being rowdy in the museum or there being a behavior issue in the museum." Walker added that she didn't see the spitting or horseplay, but they were yelling at each other and generally under-supervised by chaperones or teachers.

Another anonymous Guggenheim employee added, "I think it’s a real shame that the Guggenheim’s automatic reaction was to say no and ban the school, instead of considering that maybe the students haven’t been there before. It’s a pretty dramatic step to me."

At the start of the month, the Guggenheim was essentially shut down for May Day as artists and activists dropped red and white leaflets through the spirals of the museum, demanding better conditions for workers at Guggenheim's future Abu Dhabi satellite location.

Update: A spokesperson for the Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum gave this statement, denying that the school has been banned for life:

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum policy for school groups recommends 1 adult for every 10 children; this policy is communicated to all schools, including the Brooklyn Science Skills Center High School, in advance of their visit. The Brooklyn Science Skills Center High School group was admitted to the museum in spite of the fact that they did not meet this threshold. During their visit, the students in this group were not appropriately supervised by their chaperones and put the museum public, staff and artwork at risk by touching artwork and throwing objects from the ramps.

The Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum has a heightened sensitivity to safety given the unique architecture of its landmark Frank Lloyd Wright building, where throwing objects, even coins, is not only disruptive but also potentially dangerous. After security spoke to the chaperones about this behavior, the group left of its own accord. Neither the Brooklyn Science Skills Center High School nor its students have been banned for life.

The Guggenheim welcomes school groups on a daily basis and is widely regarded for its citywide art education programs. An example of this engagement is currently on view now through June 17 in the exhibition of artwork by New York public school students titled A Year With Children.