Great news for people making more than $394,000 every year: you're God's chosen people! Even better news: the Great Recession has barely put a dent in your earning potential. According to a study [PDF] conducted by an economist at UC Berkeley, the top 1% of earners increased their income by 31.4% from the years 2009 to 2012. This means that 95% of the economic gain during that three year period went to the top 1% of earners. The other 99% saw a growth of 0.4% over the same time period.

"These results suggest that the Great Recession has only depressed top income shares temporarily and will not undo any of the dramatic increase in top income shares that has taken place since the 1970s," writes the author of the study, Emmanuel Saez.

Last year, the top 10% of earners, which includes everyone who makes $114,000 or more, reaped 50.5% of all income in the country. This is the highest total since we started keeping these records in 1917. Good thing we started keeping these numbers, otherwise we wouldn't know what's going on and things might get out of hand!

Here's a fun graph:

91113grah.jpg
(via)

In related news, that whole "Tale of Two Cities" thing was a big misunderstanding.