As authorities continue to investigate the death of Brooklyn cafe owner Josh Rubin, the Post's sources suggest the 30-year-old may have been dealing weed: "[Rubin] had been pressing his friends to buy large weights of weed... Rubin’s friends told investigators that he’d get them as much as a pound of pot at time, according to the sources." And Rubin's money problems are also being looked at.

Rubin was a first-time cafe owner, opening Whisk Bakery Cafe in Ditmas Park earlier this year—and his enthusiasm for the plan is apparent in a fundraising video. He was last seen on October 31, and his friends and family were worried, distributing fliers, hiring a private detective, and offering a reward for information about his whereabouts. It turns out that his burned body was discovered on a roadside outside of Allentown, Pennsylvania on November 1, but local cops had little information. Then on November 28, they received an anonymous tip that the body was Rubin's, and it took a while to get dental and DNA records for confirmation, which came this past week. An autopsy showed that Rubin's cause of death was a gunshot to the chest.

The Lehigh County DA's office says that Rubin owed his landlord money and had other debts totaling around $20,000, and the Post adds police are looking into whether Rubin was involved with loan sharks. But an anonymous law enforcement official told the NY Times, "If you knock on every other door in Brooklyn, you are going to find people with $20,000 in credit card debts."

Rubin's family released a statement, "We are devastated about the loss of our beloved son and brother, Joshua Rubin. He was a kind, caring and gentle young man. He was the type of person that people gravitated to because of his funny personality and truly caring nature. He loved talking to people and consistently made new friends. He had a big wonderful smile that could light up your day. Josh was deeply loved by his family and friends... Our hearts are broken."

A local merchant, Gene Grinberg of A-1 Glass and Mirrors, also spoke to the Times and said that he did $40 of work for Rubin and Rubin offered to give him free cups of $2 coffee to pay the bill. Grinberg, who agreed to the deal, said he saw a frantic-seeming Rubin pacing outside the cafe a few days before he went missing, "He looked really sad. I saw it on his face. Usually he smiled."