A man in Queens was hospitalized yesterday afternoon after picking up a package which then exploded in his hands and badly burned him, according to multiple reports.

Police and fire officials are investigating the incident, according to DNAinfo, which occurred when the man opened a package at about 4:15 p.m. in front of a Brookville home on 222nd Street between 145th Avenue and 145th Road.

NYPD Chief of Detectives Robert Boyce gave updates on the explosion and the victim's status last night, telling reporters that the man suffered second- and third-degree burns to 80% of his body:

The 73-year-old man, who the Post identified as the building's landlord, was thought to have been injured when he opened the package, according to police. A source told the paper that it was unlikely the man was the target of the device, since he doesn't even live at the house.

One resident of the house told ABC7 that her father had brought the package inside and asked if it was for them, and she told him it wasn't. "I said just put it outside and I guess they'll pick it back up, to whoever it needs to go to they'll find it," she told the station. "And the landlord came and he saw it during the week and I guess he realized it was still sitting there and he decided he wanted to open it I guess, and that's what happened."

A witness to the explosion told ABC that he saw the man after the explosion and that "the flames engulfed his whole top half."

The victim, who has not been identified by police, remains at the Nassau County Medical Center in critical condition.