How The Second Avenue Subway Has Changed These New Yorkers' Lives

<p></p><p><strong>Ty Hart, 26, UES:</strong> "I usually take the 4/5/6 to get home, but this stop being right on 2nd Avenue, it took a lot of stress off the 4/5/6. I live right on 72nd and 2nd. It's not even that busy! The new stations are beautiful, it's a great feeling. It gives New York City a good look. Everybody's happy, riding, dying to ride this train. You can't be a New Yorker and not enjoy the amenities like this. A new train? You gotta ride it." </p>

<p></p><p><strong>John Campbell and Moira Skeados, UES:</strong> "It's made my commute much easier. It used to take me 45 minutes to get to Midtown, and now it takes 15. I transfer to the F, and now it's right across the platform. It's less crowded and I get a seat. The accessible elevators make it also easier with my son."</p>

<p></p><p><strong>Sarah Hudson, 27, Bushwick:</strong> "It's saved me a ton of time, I used to take the 6 and walk 15 minutes, and now it's just a 5 minute walk from my place. The subway hasn't changed much. There's been a lot of delays, but the stations sure are beautiful. The 6 was always super crowded."</p>

<p></p><p><strong>Johari Frasier, UES, 25:</strong> "The stations are gorgeous. They're almost sterile, still. It's brand new, so it makes sense. It makes it easier to get to work, for me, since now I don't have to transfer. I have two jobs and one of them is in Brooklyn, and now I can just walk here, hop on, and ride all the way to work. On a good day, it saves me 20 minutes."</p>

<p></p><p><strong>Joy Rodriguez, UES resident:</strong> "I normally walk to work, from 102nd to 70th Street, but I'm trying this out. I figure when it's cold or raining I can just take the train. This morning I literally made it in ten minutes. I waited longer at the platform than the trip."</p>

<p></p><p><strong>Nicole Ayr, 17, UES:</strong> "It's definitely less crowded, that's a lot better. When you're trying to get somewhere, it's nice to have that space. It's saving me 20 minutes in the morning going to school. I transfer at Times Square to get on the 1, and before I had to take the 4/5/6 and get on the shuttle. But now it's easier, I can just sit down and relax."</p>

<br/><br/><strong>Adah Carrion, 99th Street and 2nd in George Washington Developments:</strong> "They said phase 2 will start in the next 20 years. I'm the one who has to deal with not opening the window in my own apartment because this is my view with the pollution, for the last 10 years. Nobody wants to talk about that construction. Nobody wants to talk about my building with 14 floors and the plumbing every single week. Every other day I get phone calls of leaks coming from apartments because of the rattling. These buildings are 60 years old, Washington Houses. The rattling from making the tunnels vibrated the building so badly that the plumbing is shot. Now, NYCHA is saying 'We don't have the money to fix it' but on 97th Street, the MTA gave them $10 million to use there, for ten years. Why didn't they use that money to repair us? When they do do phase 2, Washington Houses has to deal with it, Jefferson Houses too. It's going to rattle us and destroy us and nobody's saying anything. They're putting a bandaid on it and keeping it moving.<br/><br/>"I can't open my own window because I have asthma and the pollution is so bad. We're getting nothing back from it. I've tried my best to get to the press, and they're always reporting about the noise downtown, but what about uptown? We've put up with rats, noise, pollution. We've put up with so much for the cause of helping the city, but it's not helping us. It didn't help us any, it made things worse. At the development, we feel like we've had a slap in the face. They're celebrating something that was paid for on our backs. Now, people have to miss days of work so they can stay home, so NYCHA can get into their apartments and fix plumbing broken by construction. Our pipes, one by one, are breaking.<br/><br/>"In my building itself, MTA turned off the gas. A building that's 60 years old, you can't just turn off the gas and turn it back on, and mine stood with no gas for eleven days. By the time they came, and redid the whole building, it took them 11 days. Their original proposal was six months. They were going to hand out hot plates.<br/><br/>"The new transportation hasn't made up for it."