Zenzile Keith was marching with her mother last summer to protest the verdict in the Trayvon Martin case when she was seized by several NYPD officers. "They pulled me by my hair and dragged me by my face through the street." The police said she was assaulting an officer. "What actually happened was that a cop was trying punch my elderly mother in the face and I put my hands up." The charges against her were dropped, but the experience led her to carry a sign at yesterday's Millions March rally: "Afraid of those sworn to protect me."

"We need to turn the system upside down. There's no reform," Keith, a math teacher at Brooklyn Friends School said. "You can't reform a system that was built on racism."

Saturday's march was the largest in a string of daily demonstrations in the city since grand juries declined to indict the police officers who killed Michael Brown and Eric Garner. The NYPD estimated the crowd of the Millions March to be between 20,000 and 30,000, while the march's organizers say the number is closer to 50,000.

Despite the enormity of the march, which began in Washington Square, grazed Herald Square, and ended in front of NYPD Headquarters, and the fact that the demonstrators were sharing some streets with SantaCon participants, the police logged only a single arrest on the Brooklyn Bridge for disorderly conduct.

In a hastily-called, late night press conference at 1 Police Plaza, Chief of Department James O'Neill guaranteed that number would rise, telling reporters that two NYPD Legal Affairs Bureau lieutenants were beaten on the Brooklyn Bridge by a small group of protesters.

"They heard a radio transmission that they heard there was debris being thrown from the walkway at the police officers who were escorting the protesters on the roadway," O'Neill said. "The two lieutenants observed a male attempting to throw a garbage can at the cops on the roadway. They attempted to apprehend him, and numerous protesters intervened and prevented the arrest from being made."

O'Neill said that the police recovered a bag from their intended arrest target filled with three hammers and a black mask. NYPD Intelligence Commissioner John Miller described the bag as a sort of anarchist's "kit."

"They put the masks on; they use hammers, wrenches, and other objects, to either commit assault or property damage. This bag was basically constructed with those items, to appear to be a kit for such purposes," Miller said.

Chief O'Neill said that one of the injured lieutenants' noses was broken, but declined to describe their other injuries.

"After tonight's event, after the cops being assaulted, this is where we have to draw the line. I want to be clear that these assaults do not come with the territory," O'Neill said. When asked if this meant that the NYPD would change the way they have recently policed protests in the future, he replied, "No, we'll continue as long as the protests are non-violent, we'll continue to police the events the way that we've been policing them. We have to draw the line when our officers are assaulted."

But the NYPD also admitted that the vast majority of the protesters were peaceful. Compared to some others, the sign that Jon Price was holding as he walked up 5th Avenue was almost comically tame: "Injustice…It's Not OK."

"I get both sides, I realize it's a difficult thing. I realize when you think your life is in danger and that's the reality, they're afraid too," Price said of the police. "So I get that, but I just think that they have to be taught how to react."

Price, who works in finance, said he thought that the mayor's vow to give all NYPD officers a three-day training session fell short of that need.

"I think it's gonna take a long time, and I think the three-day proposal of training isn't sufficient. It's gonna take much more than that. I think racism is deeply embedded in America, and I think that that plays a major part of it as well."

Malik Shoulders, who lives in the Bronx, said he was "fed up" with what he sees is a two-tiered, race-based justice system.

"I've seen the tale of two cities, where a cop will look at me when he gives a white person a break, you know, with that kind of coy smile. I've seen cops stop other people, they've stopped me, been antagonistic, it's just ridiculous. It's got to stop at some point."

Charity Linn said she was happy that the permitted march gave her two children, Mariah, 3, and Princeton, 6, an opportunity to participate. "I thought this was a very important thing for my children to see and be a part of."

Linn added that more people would need to show up and voice their displeasure with the current system of justice. "I think they're thinking, oh let them march, they're gonna go home, and then it's gonna be back to business as usual. I think we need more action and less talking."

Additional reporting by Jessica Warriner