Police say a driver killed a 68-year-old pedestrian on Saturday night in South Ozone Park as the man tried to cross the street. The victim was one of 11 pedestrians fatally struck by drivers in the days since Halloween.
The victim tried to run across South Conduit Avenue at 130th Street shortly before 9:26 p.m. and was hit by the driver of the Ford sedan. Investigators believe the driver was passing through the intersection on South Conduit with the light when the man, whose identity hasn't been released yet, tried to run across the road in the crosswalk. Police say the driver veered to avoid him, but hit him with the driver's side of his bumper.
Paramedics drove the victim to Jamaica Hospital Medical Center and doctors there pronounced him dead. The motorist remained on the scene and has not been charged. The man's death was the 10th in a grisly week on the city's roads. A taxi driver's allegedly reckless killing of an 88-year-old on the Upper West Side three hours later brought the total to 11 in eight days. An 86-year-old woman who was fatally struck on Friday, also on the Upper West Side, was the ninth victim.
On Thursday night, Connecticut State Police caught up to the bus driver who ran over 84-year-old Aglaia Gouaris in Flushing Queens, and kept going. Cops pulled the bus driver over around 10 p.m. in Madison, Connecticut, 90 miles from where the NYPD says he drove over Gouaris as she crossed Main Street near Kissena Boulevard.
The bus was headed to Foxwoods Casino, and scheduled to pick up passengers in Flushing around the time of the 8:30 p.m. crash. Rain washed away some evidence of the crash from the bus, and investigators examined it for hours before returning the vehicle to Queens, ABC7 reported. The 56-year-old driver has been questioned, but so far, an NYPD spokeswoman said, not charged with anything.
The way the State allows pedestrians second-class status as people is a good metaphor for life in general.
— newyorkist (@Newyorkist) November 8, 2015
The bloodshed has prompted renewed calls for the city to make good on its Vision Zero pledge to reduce traffic fatalities to zero by 2024. Department of Transportation Commissioner Polly Trottenberg told WNYC, "We've made some real progress," but "we still have a lot more work to do as these crashes indicate."
Asked to advise pedestrians, she said, "You can be part of the solution of making our streets safer. You have to be alert when you walk the busy streets of New York. We all do. We all have a role to play: motorists, cyclists and pedestrians."
The busy intersection of Main Street and Kissena Boulevard in Flushing had been the site of just three crashes prior to Thursday's fatal hit-and-run, none resulting in injuries, according to NYPD data. Still, the crossroads at the center of the densest part of the neighborhood is chaotic and dangerous, local activist Sherrell Jordan told ABC7.
"Something has to be done out here," she said "I don't want anyone else to die over here...They zoom down the block."
Data show South Conduit Avenue and 130th Street has been the site of 11 crashes so far this year, which left 11 car occupants injured, and one dead.