An off-duty police officer was arrested yesterday and charged with assault after he allegedly pushed a female conductor into the door of her conductor's cab onboard a J train. The conductor pulled the emergency brake in the Essex Street station, halting Manhattan-bound J and M trains and stranding some passengers on the Williamsburg bridge for over an hour during rush hour.

According to a criminal complaint from the Manhattan District Attorney's office, Tremel Davis, 33, was onboard the aforementioned J train at around 9 a.m. yesterday when he pushed the conductor into the door frame of the subway's conductor booth, causing her to fall to the ground and injure her arm.

Witnesses say Davis became enraged when the conductor opened the cab door he'd been leaning on, hence why he shoved her. He also allegedly screamed, "You better apologize!" at her before he pushed her. The conductor, who was later transported to Mount Sinai Beth Israel, pulled the brake, and police arrested Davis and charged him with second-degree assault.

Davis has been suspended without pay, but he was already on modified assignment, having lost his gun and badge after he was arrested six months ago for allegedly acting violently against his 1-year-old niece.

Meanwhile, after the conductor pulled the brake, pandemonium ensued. Straphangers say they were not informed about what was going on, and rumors swirled about a possible fire, a person struck by a train, and even a train collision.

Tipster Jennifer Barish, who was onboard the J train on which the incident occurred, told us yesterday:

I was on the J train this morning headed manhattan bound from Essex. We all felt/heard a huge thud. Seemed very likely that someone had pulled the emergency break. A few moments later, 50 people came stampeding toward our car yelling "Run!!." We were able to calm everyone down. People were really terrified. Lots of tears and instant survival mode. Then, we finally heard a a pretty calm announcement that MTA was investigating the issue. Everyone then walked towards the back of the train and exited on the Essex platform. I heard one woman say that the panic started when a person (presumably the conductor yelled RUN).

For straphangers stuck on the Williamsburg Bridge, however, things seemed dire. Folks took to social media to report a sick passenger onboard a J train suspended over the East River, and noted that some people were so desperate they were climbing out of the train onto the bridge:

Trains eventually started moving around 10 a.m. Davis, meanwhile, was arraigned yesterday and released on his own recognizance; he will be back in court on November 17th.