An NYPD sergeant who shot and killed Bronx woman Deborah Danner after neighbors called police to report that she was acting in an emotionally disturbed manner has been indicted by a grand jury, more than six months after the incident. Update: He has pleaded not guilty.

Sergeant Hugh Barry, who fatally shot the 66-year-old Danner in her home when she was nude and allegedly armed with a baseball bat last October, was indicted on a second degree murder charge, ABC 7 reports.

Sergeant Barry responded to a call at Danner's building on October 18th last year. When he entered Danner's apartment, he allegedly found her armed with scissors, but persuaded her to put them down. Danner then allegedly picked up a bat while approaching Barry, which is when he shot Danner twice in the chest.

Barry came under criticism for not using his Taser and not waiting for Emergency Services Unit to respond to the situation, since Danner was a known schizophrenic individual.

"It should never have happened, simple as that," Mayor de Blasio said after the shooting, while Commissioner James O'Neill said, "What is clear in this one instance—we failed."

"This is an absolute disgrace," said Sergeants Benevolent Association President Ed Mullins said in a statement today as news of the indictment spread. "The fact is that Sgt. Barry did everything right, he responded to the scene, took immediate charge, and de-escalated the situation by convincing the women to put the scissors down... He was well within his rights to take the action that he did, even though that was the last thing he—or any police officer—would ever want to do."

The Bronx District Attorney's office said they would be releasing a statement about the indictment later this afternoon. Barry is expected to be formally arraigned this afternoon.

“What happened to Deborah Danner was an outrage," Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. said in a statement reacting to the indictment. "Today’s announcement that the police officer involved in Ms. Danner’s fatal shooting will face charges is a positive first step towards addressing an issue that has been long neglected, and that is how to deal with our mentally ill residents in volatile situations. Clearly, there were options available to Sgt. Barry which he failed to implement, and his conduct in this case is by no means a reflection on the great work of the New York City Police Department and its dedicated members."