Two NYPD officers from the 70th Precinct have been placed on desk duty pending the outcome of an investigation into a fatal motorcycle crash in Windsor Terrace early Saturday morning.

The Post reports that two bikers drove past the officers' squad car shortly after 1:00 a.m. on Saturday, headed westbound on Parkside Avenue. The department is investigating whether the officers in question gave chase to the bikers in their squad car and, in so doing, went against department policy.

While pursuing a suspect, the NYPD Patrol Guide instructs officers to weigh the potential risks of traffic crashes, against the perpetrator's danger to others. Specifically, NYPD rules require that a vehicle pursuit be "terminated whenever the risks to uniformed members of the service and the public outweigh the danger to the community if [the] suspect is not immediately apprehended."

According to the NYPD, the 29-year old victim, identified by the Post as one Dexter Walters, attempted to ride his Yamaha between a westbound van and a row of parked cars on Parkside, after passing the squad car. Walters hit both the van and the parked vehicles and was "thrown" from his bike.

The NYPD responded to Parkside Avenue near Park Circle, at the southwest corner of Prospect Park, around 1:15 a.m. There, they found the victim unconscious and unresponsive in the road. He was transported to Kings County Hospital, where he was pronounced dead upon arrival. The driver of the van stayed on the scene, and no arrest have been made.

In July 2014 it was revealed that NYPD officers lied about the circumstances of a high speed chase that killed a Greenpoint pedestrian. In 2013, a teen driver fleeing police on the Upper West side killed 4-year-old Ariel Russo.

And in May, a neurological researcher and assistant professor at the renowned Weill Cornell Brain and Spine Center on the Upper East Side was killed by a hit-and-run driver while riding his bike in East Harlem. The driver had been fleeing court officers who tried to pull the car over after they saw him run a red light and nearly hit their vehicle in the Bronx.

After the fact, a spokesman for NYC courts stated that the officers did not give chase to the Mercedes driver. Rather, they continued into Manhattan and then came upon the fatal collision.