This weekend, officers from Brooklyn's 79th Precinct publicly griped about being forced to meet quotas, which NYPD management still refuses to acknowledge exist, despite mounting evidence. The officers are even considering a day-long summons boycott to express their disdain. But at roll call on Monday, they were given a threatening wake-up call by quotas-enthusiast Deputy Chief Michael Marino: "Just try it. I'll come down here and make sure you write them."
Marino, a 32-year NYPD vet, can add this latest salvo to his laundry list of controversies over the past few years, many of which have revolved around the quotas scandal. A source told the News that Marino vowed to transfer people if they didn't meet their quotas: "A lot of guys were really [angry] by the time he left. The younger guys, they're scared. They'll listen. The older guys are not going to stand for this," said a 79th Precinct police source, referring to the Monday tirade. In 2006, an arbitrator ruled that Marino broke state labor laws by punishing cops who did not meet ticket and arrest quotas when he was the commanding officer of the 75th Precinct in East New York.
But that's not all: Marino was identified as one of the central figures in Officer Adrian Schoolcraft's lawsuit with the city. Schoolcraft has accused commanding officers of massively under-reporting crime stats earlier this year, and is suing the NYPD for trying to discredit and silence him by throwing him in a psych ward unwillingly. His suit claims that Chief Marino was one of the officer who took him by force, placing boot on Officer Schoolcraft’s head as he was pinned down and said, “It didn’t have to be like this.” Marino, currently second in command of Patrol Borough Brooklyn North, was also punished this year for using steroids—and he may be facing another trial. Lt. Robert Gonzalez, president of the NYPD chapter of the National Latino Officers Association, has asked Commissioner Ray Kelly to investigate Marino's conduct.