The Adams administration has missed a court deadline Monday requiring the city to clear a waitlist for immigrants awaiting a shelter bed, according to an attorney in the lawsuit.

Single adult migrants waited overnight on Monday without being placed in a city shelter, according to Josh Goldfein, senior attorney at Legal Aid. Goldfein said the failure violates terms of a settlement the city agreed to last month with Legal Aid and the Coalition for the Homeless. The deal modified terms of the city’s long-standing right-to-shelter rules, which generally require the city to provide a shelter bed to anyone who needs one.

Mayor Eric Adams requested flexibility with the rules amid an influx of tens of thousands of migrants to the city over the last two years.

Goldfein said it remains unclear how many migrants waited overnight without shelter placements, and City Hall spokespeople did not comment directly on Goldfein’s contention. The city is required to send Legal Aid daily reports with data about migrants in shelters under the settlement.

City Hall spokesperson Kayla Mamelak said in a statement the administration is working with Legal Aid to meet the terms of the settlement, as hundreds of new migrants continue to arrive daily in the city and request shelter. She said the city is working to make more shelter space by adding more beds “as quickly as possible” and helping migrants transition out of the shelter system.

“While this work isn’t going to be perfected overnight, we are confident the stipulation will stabilize and protect our shelter system, ensuring New York City can continue to support those most in need and deliver important services for all New Yorkers,” she said in a statement.

City officials previously said they were on track to clear the shelter backlog.

Legal Aid is required to make “good-faith efforts” to resolve any potential violations before bringing their concerns to court, according to the settlement. Goldfein said the city is working to rectify the current lack of shelter beds, and he said he’s closely tracking the city’s performance.

“The city advised us that they’re going to add more beds to come into compliance,” Goldfein said. “And we’re monitoring that very closely.”

New York City’s migrant shelter waitlist emerged — and ballooned — in recent months, as the city began limiting shelter stays for migrants to 30 or 60 days, with the option to reapply. On some days, the waitlist has fluctuated as high as some 3,000 people.

Single adult migrants kicked out of shelters may return to the city’s “reticketing center” at St. Brigid’s Church in the East Village to reapply. The wait to receive a new shelter bed has at times surpassed one or two weeks. Meanwhile, as migrants wait, the city has only offered space to stay in so-called “waiting rooms” without beds.

The settlement finalized last month allows New York City to legally limit stays for most adult migrants in city shelters. Prior to the deal, such stays could extend indefinitely. The new agreement modifies a decades-old consent decree that requires the city to provide shelter to all homeless residents.

The agreement also requires migrant shelters to meet certain minimum standards, like having separate beds or cots for each person. Under the settlement, the city is required to stop using other substandard shelters by Monday – April 8.

Roughly 65,000 migrants are currently residing in city shelters. More than 180,000 migrants have funneled through city shelters since spring of 2022, around when Texas Gov. Greg Abbott and other border state officials began sending buses of migrants to New York City.

As the number of migrants staying in city shelters has steadily decreased, the migrant shelter waitlist has shrunk in recent weeks, and the average wait time has also decreased.

On Friday afternoon, Mamelak said the city was slated to clear the waitlist by Monday's deadline. At that time, about 800 people were on the list.