Several hundred protesters circled police headquarters in Lower Manhattan Thursday night, demanding New York City Police Department Commissioner Dermont Shea’s resignation. The calls come following the controversial warrant squad arrest of an 18-year-old transgender activist during a protest Tuesday.

“This week, we’ve seen a provocation of violence against non-violent unarmed teenagers in our city. Commissioner Shea is tone deaf,” said Carlene Pinto, an organizer with NYC Action Lab. “We’ve been screaming people over property and he violated and kidnapped an unarmed non-violent trans teenager over property. That is an escalation...He has to go. He has no respect for New Yorkers.”

Nikki Stone was grabbed by plain clothes officers and shoved into an unmarked van during a demonstration Tuesday. She was released several hours later with a desk appearance ticket for criminal mischief. Police said she’d damaged five NYPD cameras near City Hall earlier during the month-long occupation of a public plaza activists dubbed “Abolition Park.”

The warrant squad arrest, which drew comparisons to one enacted by unnamed federal officials in Portland, Oregon, was widely condemned by local elected officials. 

Even Mayor Bill de Blasio, who staunchly defended his police department in late May and early June while NYPD officers systematically attacked unarmed protesters with batons and mace night after night, conceded it was the kind of thing “we don’t want to see,” and promised to talk to Commissioner Shea.

The Police Department did not immediately return a request for commen.

Earlier in the week, a group of activists had staged a noisy pre-dawn demonstration outside Shea’s West 73rd Street home, protesting their eviction from the City Hall plaza on July 22. 

Demonstrators demanding Shea’s resignation pointed to other recent examples of perceived mishandling, like the video of an officer assaulting a homeless man on the subway. Commissioner Shea said the officer might need “additional training,” but that he wouldn’t be put on modified duty. 

“When you can say that it’s okay to put hands on someone on the train..Forget you,” said 29-year-old activist Vidal Guzman. “You need to step down.”

As they neared police barricades at the intersection of Park Row and Worth Street, protesters laid down in the roadway blocking the intersection and snarling traffic for a moment of silence. 

Dozens of police officers in riot gear approached the barricades as protesters continued to chant for Shea’s resignation. But the group eventually retreated north towards Canal Street without a confrontation.

Chelsea Miller, 23, said Stone’s arrest earlier in the week was jarring. 

“That’s not why we march for over 60 days. What we march for is change,” she said. “We didn't ask for backwards steps. So it’s time for him to resign.”