Yesterday's taxi inferno on West 50th Street, right outside of Rockefeller Center and various NBC offices, was put out about an hour after it was reported. Fire officials think that the fire was caused by an overheated engine. Yikes!
Miraculously, no one was injured. The cab driver, Samuel Dockery, told the Post, "I was getting ready to sign off for the day when, all of a sudden, smoke came from under the dashboard. I jumped out of the car." He said the cab, which he's been using for six months, had never given him problems before, though there are an inspection coming up in the next month.
A forklift removed the taxi - you can see in these pictures how the yellow has been burned away from the cab.
Photograph by aboutmattlaw on Flickr