Six football players from Sayreville High School in central New Jersey, who were arrested last fall in connection with a large-scale hazing scandal that involved the physical and sexual abuse of several freshman teammates, have been sentenced to 50 hours of community service each, and 1 to 2 years of probation.

The Advance interviewed several parents last fall about the violent locker room rituals, which spanned four separate occasions between September 19th and 29th:

A freshman football player would be pinned to the locker room floor, his arms and feet held down by multiple upperclassmen. Then, the victim would be lifted to his feet while a finger was forced into his rectum. Sometimes, the same finger was then shoved into the freshman player’s mouth.

"[For] 10 seconds, the lights would go off and they would grab a freshman and they would go on,” the parent said. “Right on the floor. … It was happening every day. They would get the freshmen.”

When the allegations started coming to light, Sayreville High promptly canceled its football season, fired eight coaches, and suspended five more. Then, in October of last year, seven players aged 15 to 17 (their names have been withheld from the press because they are minors) were arrested and slapped with numerous charges—three with aggravated sexual assault and aggravated criminal sexual contact, among others, and four with aggravated assault, aggravated criminal sexual contact, riot, and hazing.

According to the NYTimes, four of the players pleaded guilty in Family Court, and were sentenced to two years of probation each. Middlesex County Prosecutor Andrew Carey chose not to push for having their names added to a sex offender registry, since they were all minors when the incidents occurred.

Two other players, who were only convicted of assault (not of a sexual nature) and lying to the police, got one-year probations. They were both cleared of aggravated sexual contact and aggravated assault early last month.

Still, Carey stressed in court that, "The facts that were alleged by the Middlesex County prosecutor's office at the beginning of this case have clearly been proven in a court of law."

Last fall, a former Sayreville player told reporters that coaches seldom set foot in the locker room where the hazing took place. While many parents testified about the alleged sexual abuse and were in support of the arrests, others didn't deem hazing an issue worth forfeiting an entire football season over. "They were talking about a butt being grabbed. That’s about it. No one was hurt. No one died. I don’t understand why they’re being punished. I think that the forfeited game was punishment enough," one parent said.

Sayreville High announced in January that it will resume its regular football program this fall. A trial date for the seventh player arrested and charged last year has yet to be set.