Kiddie Carbon Monoxide detector

Two residents of 535 Third Avenue (at East 35th Street) died from carbon monoxide poisoning on the sixth floor of the apartment building. Two fifth floor residents were taken to the hospital. WNBC reported the owner called Con Ed to complain of fumes; Con Ed then called the Fire Department when it found dangerously high levels of carbon monoxide. One cause may have been a backed up furnace, but the FDNY stresses they are still investigating. This was reportedly the second carbon monoxide complaint for the building.

Carbon monoxide is colorless and odorless, and is especially dangerous during the winter, when windows are usually closed; more information from the EPA. You can also buy carbon monoxide detectors.