The Daily News has an intense jailhouse interview with Michael Brea in which the Brooklyn actor equivocates about stabbing his mother to death with a Masonic sword in their Prospect Heights apartment, "I didn't kill her. I killed the demon inside her." He also said that on Sunday, "God came above my bed and reached his arm to me.. I said, 'God, is my time on earth over?' I heard a voice say, 'Yes Michael, today is your last day.' I asked if I could say goodbye to my family." He also discussed the killing in great detail.

Brea, 31, who has had small parts on Ugly Betty and the movie Step Up 3D and a short-lived Subway franchise, seems remorseless in the interview, which was conducted in the prison ward of Bellevue Hospital. He said that he thought a man at the Freemason Temple in Harlem cursed him on Monday and mentioned hearing voices on the subway, "They were asking about the difference between mom and mother. It was a sign." His mother asked him to drain water from a pot where she was cooking chickens.

"I looked at these chickens lying dead in the pot and a voice told me it was a sacrifice. It was black magic," he said.

Brea left the chickens alone and went back to his room. When his mother asked why he did not do what she had asked, he said she spoke with a different voice.

"She had the voice of the demon. I opened the door with the dagger at my side and the sword," he said.

"I asked, 'Do you believe in God?' She said, 'No, Michael no,' and began screaming. I began slashing her like this," he said, bringing his right hand down in a violent hacking motion.

Brea, who chased his mother through the apartment with a Masonic sword police claim he stole from the lodge, said, "I didn't want to kill her right away. I wanted to give her time to get right with God... I was slashing my mom and I heard the police knocking on the door yelling, 'Michael, open up, Michael, open up,' but I knew they wouldn't open the door and stop me because the spirits were protecting me. I just kept cutting her. No one could stop me. I was doing the work of God."

Neighbors said that the police were slow to enter the apartment to stop the attack, but cops say they were waiting for ESU to handle the situation. The News says that when ESU "finally broke the door down, cops found a trail of bloody footprints and handprints on the walls and floors, and Yannick Brea crumpled on her knees in the bathroom. Her son stood amid the carnage with the sword in one hand and a Masonic Bible in the other." Brea said, "I heard voices telling me how powerful I was, saying 'Oh he's good.'"