The MTA wasn't kidding around when they started having multiple meetings to discuss the hybrid hurricane/winter storm (aka FRANKENSTORM) that is due to hit the city in the next couple days. “Our first priority is always safety, and the MTA is taking no chances with the safety of our customers, our employees and our equipment,” said MTA Chairman Joseph Lhota. “We are hoping for the best but preparing for the worst. Whatever happens, we’ll be ready.” And to that end, they've already put together an “orderly shutdown” preparation plan, and begun canceling work on subways and rail.
Mass transit service will be shut down before the arrival of sustained winds of 39 miles per hour, officials said. All scheduled weekend subway service changes for construction projects have been cancelled, with the exception of significant changes planned for the 7 and J lines (which are now scheduled on Saturday only). The Incident Command Center will be activated starting at 8 a.m. Sunday. Trains will be removed from outdoor yards prone to flooding and moved to more secure locations. Subway ventilation grates vulnerable to flooding will be sandbagged and tarped over.
There are other preparations in place for the Long Island Railroad, Metro-North, and buses and tunnels—and if you think they're jumping ahead too quickly, just take a look back at what happened during Hurricane Irene (which Sandy is supposed to eclipse in power) last year. For more, here's Mayor Bloomberg.