Juan Maldonado, the 56-year-old man charged Tuesday in the July hit-and-run killing of 35-year-old Matthew von Ohlen, worked as a crane operator and lived with his mother in South Williamsburg at the time of his arrest, according to his attorney Howard Kirsch.

"I have almost no information on the case," Kirsch told Gothamist on Wednesday. "I met him for the first time yesterday and you probably know a lot more than I do at this point." Kirsch added that he'll likely meet with his client next week.

Maldonado is being held on $100,00 bail following his indictment on eight counts, including charges of second-degree murder, criminally negligent homicide, and leaving the scene of a crash.

Von Ohlen was biking home from a shift as a bartender at Apotheke in Chinatown around 2:20 a.m. on Saturday, July 2nd, when he was struck in front of 690 Grand Street in Williamsburg, between Manhattan and Graham Avenues.

The Brooklyn District Attorney's Office said Tuesday that, according to an investigation, Maldonado "swerved" into the bike lane on Grand Street and sped through a red light before striking von Ohlen. He then "hit the victim's bicycle from behind causing the victim to fall. The defendant continued driving, running over the victim and dragging him approximately 10 to 20 feet as he sped away."

The charges filed Tuesday, carrying a top sentence of 15 years, imply recklessness—not intentionality.

On July 6th, four days after von Ohlen's death, police identified the black Chevy Camaro allegedly involved in the crash and confirmed that a suspect had been identified based on the vehicle's registration. In the months that followed, radio silence on the case and a marked uptick in cyclist ticketing on Grand Street angered and puzzled safe streets advocates.

DNAinfo reports that the NYPD identified Maldonado when the car was recovered, but waited four months for a grand jury to indict him on felony charges before making an arrest.

The outlet also reports that Maldonado was fired the day before the crash, from a job delivering construction materials for Certified Lumber in South Williamsburg. One employee there said he repeatedly showed up for work under the influence, or didn't show up at all.

Shortly after the crash, family told DNAinfo, Maldonado drove to Connecticut to visit with his teenage daughter. Police recovered his car there. He apparently didn't let on about the crash to his mother, who was surprised when officers arrived Tuesday morning to make an arrest.

According to attorney Steve Vaccaro, who primarily represents cyclists and pedestrians injured and killed by reckless drivers, it is not uncommon for police to withhold updates on a fatality case. As a general rule of thumb, he said, police will refer to "investigation ongoing," even if only a shred of evidence is outstanding. "They may have every bit of evidence there is except for one, and they'll even refuse a FOIL [Freedom of Information Law] request," he told us.