2006_09_handcuffs.jpgLast Sunday, the Daily News had a story with the graphic, "says it all" headline: Baby dead in bucket of vomit. Last Friday night, before going to sleep with her three month old baby next to her, a young mother left a bucket next to her bed because she wasn't feeling well. She threw up in the middle of the night, and the next day, she discovered her baby daugher in the bucket - apparently the baby fell in. Baby Niah Ford was pronounced dead, and an autopsy found she died of drowning and asphyxiation. Yesterday, mother Savarin Dejesus was arrested for criminally negligent homicide and endangering the welfare of a child. Newsday reports that the police waited for autopsy results before charging her: "A three-month-old just doesn't walk into a bucket."

Dejesus and her baby had been living at the Fox House, a group home on East 117th Street. One woman told the NY Times that the baby "didn't look neglected" while another who knew Dejesus said, “I guess it was just a big mistake, a stupid mistake, a big, big mistake.”