Stray voltage shocks aren't only for the cold winter months! An 8 year old was shocked by a manhole in Staten Island. Briana Santa Maria and a friend had been playing in a sprinkler yesterday afternoon when Briana ran across the street in her bare feet, getting a sting from the manhole cover. A elevator repairman neighbor checked the spot with his meter and saw there was a current of 100 watts. Another neighbor told NY1 that there have been problems with electricity in the area, plus Con Ed had done work on a light near where the girl was shocked.

Briana had burns on her feet and was taken to Staten Island University Hospital. Parents are probably going to make their kids where rubber galoshes from now on, even in the sweltering summer heat.