A 29-year-old man was fatally struck by a hit-and-run driver while crossing northbound lanes of the FDR in Kips Bay early Friday morning.

According to the NYPD, officers responded to the FDR near 28th Street shortly after 1:00 a.m., where they found a 29-year-old man lying in the road with head trauma. Responding EMS transported the victim to Bellevue Hospital, where he was pronounced dead. His name has yet to be released by authorities.

According to a preliminary investigation, the victim was either standing on the highway, or attempting to cross, when he was struck by the driver of a dark grey sedan. The driver sped off. PIX11 reports that the front of his vehicle was considerably damaged.

No arrests have been made, and the investigation is ongoing.

Legislation signed this week by Mayor de Blasio increased the maximum civil penalty for drivers who flee the scene of a car crash from $10,000 to $20,000 for crashes that result in death.

According to a report issued last month by Transportation Alternatives, fewer than 1% of the drivers involved in roughly 4,000 hit-and-run crashes in 2015 resulting in injury or death were charged with a crime.

In a separate incident, a 68-year-old woman was fatally struck by the driver of an SUV while crossing East 78th Street at York Avenue shortly before 6:45 p.m. on Thursday evening.

When NYPD officers arrived on the scene, they discovered the victim lying in the road with head trauma. EMS transported her to New York Presbyterian/Weill-Cornell Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead.

The victim has since been identified as Andrea Kremen of Fort Lee, New Jersey. According to a preliminary investigation, Kremen was attempting to cross York Avenue when the driver of a grey 2005 Honda Pilot struck her, driving northbound.

The driver remained on the scene, and no arrests have been made. An NYPD spokesman could not confirm if Kremen was in the crosswalk when she was struck.

"We heard the loud thump. She flew, it looks like 70 yards," the manager of a nearby restaurant told the News.

"I saw blood on her head. She looked very bad," said an employee at nearby Super-Del Market. The worker added that Kremen was a regular at the deli—"nice, quiet, always alone."