The 31-year-old man who was badly burned by an exploding e-cigarette bought the device from a store on Canal Street, his lawyer told the Daily News. Otis Gooding now faces surgery and a long recovery ahead.

Gooding was working at Central Cellars, a wine shop in Grand Central Terminal, when the e-cigarette in his pants pocket exploded on Wednesday morning. Video showed the blast, as well as Gooding trying to pat down the fire:

Gooding has been in the New York-Presbyterian Weill Cornell Medical Center's burn unit and will undergo skin graft surgery on Tuesday. His brother Joshua Barker spoke to the Daily News: "He's scared about using his hands and being able to walk. Those burns really made him suffer. He’s going through a lot of pain. To be honest, I don’t think he’s going to be recovering anytime soon."

Attorney Sanford Rubenstein, who is representing Gooding, said, "His right hand is badly burned and he may not be able to have full use. He’s scared about that."

When he's well enough, Rubenstein expects Gooding to show him the store where he bought the e-cigarette, "He knows how to find the store by sight," and added, "A government agency should shut down the manufacturing of these cigarettes until they can discover why they’re exploding."

Gooding's family was in the hospital yesterday to celebrate Thanksgiving with him. "I thank God at the end of the day that he's alive, because this could have ended up a lot worse," his brother said.