MTA officials say a 24-year-old man died this week after being electrocuted while standing on top of a Metro-North train after a Yankees/Red Sox game.

The incident happened on Wednesday around 11 p.m., as the victim, who has been identified as New Hampshire resident Michael Vigeant, and his brother were leaving Yankee Stadium following the Yankees' 10-1 win over the Red Sox. They boarded a Metro-North train headed to New Haven when the train stopped between the Larchmont and Mamaroneck stations due to a power issue around 11:30 p.m.

Witnesses told LoHud that the brothers, who were decked out in Red Sox gear, then climbed on top of the stalled train. A conductor apparently saw them and "grabbed" Vigeant's brother and safely brought him down. But Vigeant came into contact with catenary wires, was found by a train crew member, and was transported to a local hospital, where he died.

"Our sympathies go to the family during this very difficult time. The incident is under investigation and we will release further information when it is available," said Metro-North spokesperson Nancy Gamerman.

Stamford resident Michael Pellicci, who was on the train as well, told the Daily Voice he saw the entire incident, saying Vigeant and his brother jumped on top of the train more than once. "We saw them and wondered how they had gotten from one end of the train to the other so quickly,” Pellicci told the Daily Voice. “That’s when the conductor got wise to what they were doing and stopped the older brother to tell him how stupid it was.”

A few moments later, Pellicci saw a "thud and a spark of light," then watched as Vigeant's body fell between cars toward the rear of the train. "You could see his body folded in half and one arm that was black," he added. "It was horrible." MTA officials say the train was stopped for around 45 minutes afterwards, but riders say it was more than two hours.

A Metro-North official added, "While we don't know the full details of what happened yet, this incident drives home that attempting to climb up and ride on top of a rail car can be deadly."