The 54-year-old man who was arrested yesterday for allegedly roughing up and robbing a 9-year-old in the Bronx last week claims he has been "misidentified" by the victim. Michael Johnson, 54, has been charged with second-degree robbery for a theft which only netted $19. But his lawyer says they have the wrong person: “At 54-years-old he didn’t just decide to start robbing 9-year-olds,” attorney Bunmi Adeseun said. “This is a case of misidentification. He wants to fight this case—he will fight this case.”

The incident happened around 4:45 p.m. on Wednesday August 8th, when Johnson allegedly followed Jaky Saunders into his apartment building in the Fordham section of the Bronx. Jaky had been given a $20 bill by his aunt to go buy a $1 bar of soap at the corner bodega when he was accosted. “I was sending Jaky to the store when we heard him screaming from all the way downstairs,” said his aunt, Faye Singleton. Johnson attacked him in the vestibule of his building, pushing him against a wall and removing his change.

Johnson, who has 18 prior arrests and 13 misdemeanor convictions, could face a maximum of 7 years in prison. Jaky and his family were elated that police had made an arrest: “This is fantastic news. My son is traumatized, and this has been one of the worst things I’ve ever experienced,” said Nora Saunders, who’s now living in a Bronx homeless shelter with her five kids. “That man was crazy. I’m glad he’s in jail so he can’t hurt any more kids,” Jaky told the Post.