11:45 p.m. The tense standoff on the Manhattan Bridge was resolved peacefully with most protesters walking back to the Brooklyn side and exiting the bridge without any violent confrontations with police officers.

During the hours-long standoff, activists locked arms, sent white people and people with bikes to the front, and geared up for a confrontation. Organizers and officials went back and forth negotiating over how to resolve the standoff; cops wanted protesters to turn around and return to Brooklyn, but marchers wanted to pass through to Manhattan. Officers said at one point that they would be able to pass, but no movement happened. Emergency service vehicles and corrections vans arrived, and marchers eventually decided to retreat.

Elbert Powell helped convince marchers to retreat instead of rush the barricade: "We cannot lose another life," he told them. "While I'm out here, while I'm doing this, we're not going to lose anymore lives. I told them, 'go back,' because if they went through that barricade, there'd be some trouble."

Despite fears that this could be a trap, marchers were allowed to peacefully cross the bridge and exit on the other side. One officer even fist bumped marchers saying, “thanks for staying peaceful.”

Council Member Brad Lander tweeted that Public Advocate Jumaane Williams was at the scene talking to police during the standoff as well: "Cops are letting them march back to Brooklyn now. Unacceptable to trap them for this long. Designed to make angry people even angrier."

Mayor Bill de Blasio tweeted that he had stopped by Barclays Center at some point after 11 p.m., well after the protests had dissipated there.

Protesters In Tense Standoff With Police On Manhattan Bridge After Curfew

10 p.m. Hundreds of protesters are engaged in a tense standoff with police officers on the Manhattan Bridge over an hour after the curfew began in NYC. Organizers on the Manhattan side of the bridge are attempting to broker a deal with police to let them safely exit on the other side of the bridge. For now, protestors are stuck in a standstill there, barricaded on either side by cops.

"The cop presence out here is wild," said reporter Sydney Pereira, who saw dozens of officers lined up across the entrance of the bridge, guiding cars toward Bowery and keeping protesters out. "I've never seen this many officers."

People could be heard chanting, “I don’t see no riot here, why are you wearing riot gear,” and also, "de Blasio resign."

On the Upper West Side, protesters were greeted with supportive cheers from people in the area. Ricky, a doorman at a building on West End near 81st Street, was sobbing as they walked by: “I’m speechless," he said. "I’ve never seen nothing like this, I’m speechless. It’s powerful. It’s beautiful, man. The fact that it’s peaceful, the cops are letting them do their thing. I’m only 26 years old, I’ve never seen nothing like this."

However, there were several reports of chaotic scenes in Manhattan as police officers sought to disperse groups of people away from the streets.

"We were protesting, we're walking down the street, and now they're coming trying to scare us, running us down with batons, thinking they're going to scare us away," said 27-year-old Queens resident Tyrell Reed, who saw cops beating a young woman near 54th Street and 9th Avenue. "No, I'm out here to fight for my cause, and I'm ready to die. They're beating on women, helpless women, she's screaming for her life, she's scared. How many people can't breath before we can get the message through? It's not right, we're peacefully protesting."

"I'm disgusted, I hate it," said 16-year-old Samantha Foster, who also witnessed the incident. "They don't care."

9:30 p.m. Mayor Bill de Blasio angrily responded tonight to Governor Andrew Cuomo's criticisms that he and the NYPD "did not do their job last night."

"I’m very angry at what the governor said about the NYPD," he told 1010 WINS on Tuesday night, shortly after curfew passed. "He dishonored the men and women of the NYPD in an absolutely inappropriate way for any leader to do. Any elected official who blames the NYPD while they were out there fighting in the streets to restore order and protect people? That’s disgraceful and just, I don’t understand how anyone could do that. I think he owes an apology to 36,000 hardworking men and women who have been putting their lives on the line for all of us."

De Blasio also reiterated that he does not want to call the National Guard in, that he has full trust in the NYPD and leadership of Commissioner Dermot Shea, and that he believes there is an "organized pattern" to the looting that has happened over the last couple nights.

Thousands Of Protesters Defy 8 P.M. Curfew: "They're Going To Hear Us Now"

A completely empty Times Square, save for a dozen police officers

Times Square, at 7:45 p.m. on June 2, 2020

Times Square, at 7:45 p.m. on June 2, 2020
C.S. Muncy / Gothamist

8:30 p.m. NYC has now passed the 8 p.m. curfew, and there is little indication that protesters are planning to leave the streets anytime soon. The fact that thousands of people were standing their ground was a sign of hope to many.

"It means something's changing," Ore Ariyo, a 24-year-old Lower East Side resident who was protesting in lower Manhattan this evening, told Gothamist. "I think they're going to hear us now, and we're not going to stop until they do."

Officers carrying zip ties walked calmly alongside protesters, who chanted for the cops to leave them be. "This is a revolution, and a revolution has to have people who are willing to go the extra mile," said Jonah, who was marching south from Union Square through lower Manhattan. Jonah, who is black, said he has been protesting for several days now, and feared how cops could enforce the curfew.

"I'm not planning to be crazy, but I'm not planning to go home when they tell me to," he said. "Because that's the whole point. You're defying their rules because they're defying your rules."

The curfew "is just a way to crush the protests," said Pete, a 47-year-old black East Village resident who was protesting near Columbus Circle. He said he thought that things would get heated quickly after the curfew passed: "All it takes [is] for one or two people to agitate and throw a bottle and shit can get heavy," he said. "Obviously Trump is putting pressure on these guts to get it together. It's a recipe for disaster."

Over at Barclays Center, James Roberson, the lead pastor of Bridge Church, was encouraging people to go home just before the curfew. His church and several others helped organize the protest there tonight, and he was telling people to leave because "there's a curfew and we wanted to put ourselves in a position to be able to obey the law of the land," even though he said he didn't disagree with protesters who wanted to stay.

"Why should I go home?" said 19-year-old Hannis. "We've been dying left and right, this should not be happening. I've come out here for four days straight, my leg is broken, but I've been coming out here every day." He said he wasn't worried about the curfew: "I don't want to go home, I'm fighting until the end."

In anticipation of the curfew, cops completely roped off certain parts of the city, including SoHo, which has been the site of much looting in recent days, and Times Square. Public Advocate Jumaane Williams and other elected officials were still able to gather at the very bottom of Times Square at 8:01 p.m. to take a knee in solidarity with the protests.

Public Advocate Jumaane Williams takes a knee in Times Square at 8:01 p.m. on June 2, 2020

Public Advocate Jumaane Williams takes a knee in Times Square at 8:01 p.m. on June 2, 2020

Public Advocate Jumaane Williams takes a knee in Times Square at 8:01 p.m. on June 2, 2020
C.S. Muncy / Gothamist

7:45 p.m. Thirty minutes before the 8 p.m. curfew was set to go into effect, the city announced on Twitter that all for-hire vehicles, including Lyfts and Ubers, will be suspended from 8 p.m. Tuesday until 12:30 a.m. Wednesday. "They’ll resume service before the overnight subway shutdown to assist essential workers getting to and from work," the city said in a statement.

In addition, they say, "Yellow or Green Taxis operating between 8 p.m. and 12:30 a.m. MUST be transporting an essential worker. Passengers may be required to provide a valid reason for their travel to NYPD." CitiBike and Revel are both also shutdown tonight starting at 8 p.m., and the NYC Ferry Midtown shuttle bus has also been suspended for the remainder of Tuesday evening.

Note: according to the city guidelines, there are no specific requirements for ID if you are an essential worker out past the curfew. They write, "If you are stopped, you only need to identify yourself as an essential worker. If you have them, you could also show a work ID, a business card, any other official documents, or even a work uniform, but these are not required."

Earlier today, Mayor Bill de Blasio announced that the 8 p.m. curfew will be in effect through Sunday.

Thousands Peacefully March Toward Gracie Mansion On The UES

Hundreds of people are on 86th Street by Gracie Mansion

Right outside Gracie Mansion

Right outside Gracie Mansion
Joe Corcoran

6:45 p.m. Protests are underway throughout the city before tonight's 8 p.m. curfew goes into effect, with masses of people on the Upper East Side, outside the Stonewall Inn, at Barclays Center, and in Midtown Manhattan, among other places.

Hundreds in the street on 6th Avenue near Bryant Park

Hundreds in the street on 6th Avenue near Bryant Park on June 2, 2020

Hundreds in the street on 6th Avenue near Bryant Park on June 2, 2020
C.S. Muncy / Gothamist

Thousands of protesters marched up the Upper East Side toward Carl Schurz Park this evening to peacefully protest outside of the mayor's home. Police, however, blocked off the area around Gracie Mansion and began diverting people west along 86th Street. "Protesters [are] sending a message to the mayor right now," noted NY1's Roger Clark.

There was a massive police presence in the otherwise sleepy residential neighborhood. Helicopters roared above as scores of officers stood along First Avenue and watched as the protesters streamed by, mostly chanting “Black Lives Matter” but sometimes shouting insults at the NYPD.

“It’s despicable that we have to come out during a pandemic that is disproportionately killing black people for cause that disproportionately kills black people,” said Kaprielle Trenard, a 21-year-old black Manhattan resident.

At 6 p.m., the marchers began clapping, as did many residents, who stood on their stoops and hung outside their windows. One woman stood on her balcony and raised her fist.

Reflecting how spontaneous the protests have been, Dave Innis, 58, said he ran out of his apartment to join the march when he heard the sounds of chanting and police cars. “I’ve already lived this 200 times,” he said. “I do think it’s possible we’re on the brink of something epic for the country.”

And here's a view of the crowd marching up 3rd Avenue a little earlier in the evening:

Thousands of protesters also gathered outside of the Stonewall Inn in Greenwich Village for a vigil focused on violence against the black transgender community. The rally is in honor of Nina Pop, a black transgender woman, and Tony McDade, a black transgender man, who were both killed earlier this month.

And hundreds of people have also begun assembling at Barclays Center as well, where various people are stepping up to the mic and telling their story of police brutality.

Among those people at Barclays was 28-year-old artist Ian Rolen, who found an abandoned painting of George Floyd (see below) at St. Marks Place and 5th Avenue, and brought it with him to the protest. "I thought it was beautiful, so I thought, 'I need to have this,' I was drawn to it," he said. "It's a really hard time for everyone right now, and it's literally a piece of beautifulness [amidst] a lot of confusion right now."

Rolen added that he was disappointed in how the mayor has handled things: "I'm a black gay man from this city, born and raised in NYC, so I feel like every single mayor has disappointed us," he said. "But more so now than ever, I feel unsupported by a mayor who is raising black kids. If anyone should know better, he should know better. He should be able to get the NYPD in order. We're doing things peacefully, and they're really trying right now to tarnish that."

NYPD Will Ban Vehicular Traffic In Manhattan Below 96th Street

A large crowd of protesters gather in Foley Square in Manhattan

Protesters in Foley Square in Manhattan on June 2nd.

Protesters in Foley Square in Manhattan on June 2nd.

4:36 p.m. In an apparent effort to deter New Yorkers from staying out past the curfew, and looters from using vehicles to move stolen merchandise, the NYPD just announced a ban on vehicular traffic below 96th Street, with a few exceptions.

Citi Bike has also announced that the Mayor's Office has ordered them to shut down at 8 p.m. to comply with the curfew, a decision they say they disagree with:

An MTA spokesperson confirmed that the transit agency will maintain their current schedule of essential service for essential workers. Revel scooters will also not be available.

Meanwhile, a large peaceful group of protesters has kept moving throughout the Lower East Side and Lower Manhattan.

Large, Peaceful Protests Begin In Lower Manhattan

3:11 p.m. Thousands of protesters gathered in Foley Square earlier this afternoon to march across Lower Manhattan. The group eventually ended up in Washington Square Park.

Earlier, a reporter got a glimpse of a protest leader negotiating with an NYPD Sergeant to peacefully march down Broadway.

Other protests planned for Tuesday:

5 p.m. at the Stonewall Inn, to demand justice for Tony McDade, a Black trans man killed by the police in Florida, and Nina Pop, a Black trans woman killed in St. Louis.

6 p.m. at Bryant Park, for Black Lives Matter.

6 p.m. in Brooklyn, at 98 5th Ave, for a Prayerful Protest.

Meanwhile, on 5th Avenue in Manhattan, more stores were being boarded up.

Boarded up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon.

Boarded up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon.

Boarded up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday afternoon.
Kate Hinds / WNYC
Workers board up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday.

Workers board up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday.

Workers board up stores along 5th Avenue in Manhattan on Tuesday.
Kate Hinds / WNYC

Police Scanner Broadcasts Calls To Shoot And Run Over Protesters

1:40 p.m. As tens of thousands of peaceful marchers flooded New York City streets Monday evening, just before 7 p.m, NYPD officers were overheard chattering on the citywide police scanner threatening physical violence against protesters.

At around 6:20 p.m., marchers headed to the 77th Precinct in Brooklyn and had surrounded it. One person called in to describe the scene.

“There’s a group headed the 77th Precinct there’s a group, may be heading towards there please.”

Another voice responds: “Shoot those motherfuckers.”

Shortly before 7 p.m. what sounds like officers in police vehicles describe being surrounded by a crowd stuck in traffic near the intersection of Albany and Dean Street in Crown Heights.

“Central, we have a group of people blocking traffic on Albany and Dean street. They're refusing to...go eastbound on Dean Street and Albany, so we're stuck here.”

“Run them over,” a voice responds.

It’s unclear who is speaking, or if in fact they are members of the NYPD, or if there was some kind of interference with NYPD police scanner. But when asked about the two incidents, a spokesman for the NYPD said the transmissions will be reviewed.

“Clear communication is critical in times of crises,” the spokesperson said.

Witness Jon Bernstein told Gothamist that he was at the intersection of Dean and Albany at the exact moment described over the police scanner, watching the protests.

"We got to the corner of Albany and Dean and spontaneously, an older West Indian woman, alongside a few other women, entered the crosswalk at Albany, and there was a police SUV at a red light, and these people just stood in front of the police SUV, and people slowly started gathering, this attracted a crowd," Bernstein said. "And this woman led the crowd through 10 minutes of chanting as traffic was stopped—'Black lives matter, I am exhausted, enough is enough,'—it was very powerful."

Bernstein said that eventually, another NYPD vehicle pulled in behind the SUV. "A number of cops in riot gear game out of the car, they cleared it up, and that made the crowd a little bit more agitated. There was some aggressive pushing between the cops and the people on the street, and people were pissed that this powerful moment as broken up," he said.

Earlier today, Bernstein read what was broadcast over the police scanner.

"My heart started pounding, that there would be any cop who would suggest that that group of women would get run over," he said. "It was confusing and alarming, and disappointing and upsetting to me."

The threats over the scanner came two days after NYPD officers accelerated their cars into a crowd of protesters in Brooklyn, and a day after a police officer appeared to pull a gun on protesters on Broadway.

Mayor Bill de Blasio has condemned those actions, saying the officer who seems to have pulled a gun on protesters, “should have his gun and badge taken away today.” It wasn’t immediately clear if that had happened and an NYPD spokesperson didn’t return a request for comment right away.

The state attorney general Letitia James is also investigating how the NYPD has handled protesters during the course of the past six nights of demonstrations, as countless videos emerge of marchers being pummeled by batons and sprayed with mace.

Cuomo Tells De Blasio & NYPD To "Do Your Job"

Nearly 700 people were arrested during Monday night's protests, Police Commissioner Dermot Shea said.

During a press conference with Mayor Bill de Blasio on Tuesday, Shea said that police officers were still processing the arrests for offenses related to looting as well as attacks on officers. The primary targets were the city's central business district, from 23rd Street to around Mid-Manhattan and the Bronx, according to Shea.

De Blasio has come under increasing criticism for the way he has handled the protests, which have mostly been peaceful but have devolved into chaos at night. Although the city implemented a rare curfew at 11 p.m. on Monday, looting and vandalism was still rampant and, in some cases, happened as NYPD officers appeared unwilling to intervene. Some elected officials have called on the mayor to bring in the National Guard, who are on standby.

Speaking defiantly, de Blasio attributed the looting to a "small group of criminals" and accused the press of trying to "mischaracterize reality."

"I saw police officers trying to deal with a very difficult situation," he said.

He firmly pushed back against bringing in the National Guard.

"The national guard should not be brought here," he said. "We have 36,000 police officers."

Not long after the mayor's remarks, Governor Andrew Cuomo issued a harsh assessment of de Blasio's performance and that of the NYPD.

“The NYPD and the mayor did not do their job last night," he said. "Look at the videos, it was a disgrace. I believe that. I believe the mayor underestimates the scope of the problem, I think he underestimates the duration of the problem, and I don't think they've used enough police to address the situation. It's inarguable that it was not addressed last night. Facts, right? This is a glass of water."

"Do your job," he added.

Cuomo has said he has offered all the mayors in New York state the services of the state police and National Guard. But he has stopped short of using this authority under a state of emergency to bring the National Guard in, saying that it would effectively "displace" de Blasio.

"I don't think we are at that point. That would be such a chaotic situation in the midst of an already chaotic situation."

He later added: "I believe the NYPD can do this."