The LIRR is still a shadow of its former self today, and despite high hopes that this evening's commute would be smooth as Syosset silk, the MTA is warning everyone to lower their expectations and "anticipate delays and cancellations" as a result of yesterday's freight train derailment. A full third of the evening rush hour trains are being canceled today.
A photo posted by monkfishfilms (@monkfishfilms) on
One of the two derailed freight cars is still blocking one of the two tracks shared by trains of the Ronkonkoma Branch and Port Jefferson Branch, which means that the LIRR can operate on only one of two tracks between Westbury and Hicksville. Here's what you need to know if you're headed back to Strong Island:
The LIRR will be able to operate trains over only one of its usual two tracks between Carle Place and Hicksville. Other branches will be impacted as well, as the railroad works systemwide to readjust its equipment and available train slots within this operating constraint.
All eastbound trains will bypass Carle Place and Westbury. Customers will be able to transfer to a bus at Hicksville for transportation to those stations.
Some regularly scheduled eastbound trains will have added stops at New Hyde Park, Merillon Avenue and Mineola.
All regularly scheduled westbound train service from Port Jefferson, Huntington and Ronkonkoma to Jamaica will be canceled between 3 PM and 8 PM. Customers are advised to use alternate LIRR train service on the Babylon, Montauk and Hempstead Branches.
LIRR crews have been working around the clock since yesterday afternoon to clear the derailed freight cars. Significant progress has been made. Work crews unloaded the construction debris from the freight car that had toppled on to its side, and removed that car and its wheel assemblies from the track area. The track and electrified third rail have been rebuilt in that area. LIRR personnel are continuing to work on the re-railing of the second freight car and the subsequent re-building of the track/third rail in that area, as well.
The following trains are canceled this evening:
Port Jefferson Branch
· The 3:27PM train from Penn due Huntington at 4:33PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 3:43PM train from Penn due Huntington at 4:49PM, stopping at Woodside, Jamaica, Hillside, New Hyde Park and all local stops to Huntington.
· The 5:12PM train from Hunterspoint Ave. due Port Jefferson at 7:00PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:30PM from LIC due Port Jefferson 7:30PM, adding stops at Mineola, Hicksville, Syosset and Cold Spring Harbor.
· The 5:29PM train from Atlantic Terminal due Huntington at 6:28PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:33PM from Penn due Hicksville 6:29PM, extended to Huntington.
· The 5:52 PM train from Long Island City due Port Jefferson at 8:00PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated on the 6:30PM train from Hunterspoint due Port Jefferson at 8:15PM, which will make added stops at Mineola, Hicksville and Huntington.
· The 6:08PM train from Penn due Huntington at 7:18PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:01PM train from Penn due Hicksville 6:45PM, adding all local stops to Huntington.
· The 6:30PM train from Penn due Huntington at 7:32PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 6:35PM train from Penn due Hicksville at 7:22PM, stopping at Jamaica, New Hyde Park and all local stops to Huntington.
· The 4:54PM train from Penn due Farmingdale at 5:56PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:01PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma 6:21PM, adding stops at Bethpage and Farmingdale.
· The 5:41PM train from Penn due Ronkonkoma at 6:49PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 5:52PM from Penn due Ronkonkoma 7:11PM, adding a stop at Hicksville.
· The 4:05PM train from Ronkonkoma due in Penn at 5:38PM is canceled. Customers will be accommodated by the 4:42PM train from Ronkonkoma due Penn 6:08PM.
· The 6:25PM train from Farmingdale due in Penn at 7:22 PM is canceled. Customers accommodated by the next westbound train.