- Yankees 8, Phillies 5: Things looked bleak when Andy Pettitte gave up three runs in the second inning. But Alex Rodriguez hit a two-run homer in the fourth that was originally ruled a double, but then reversed by the umpires with instant replay, and then the Yankees -- helped by an Andy Pettitte RBI single -- scored three in the fifth. They added a run each in the sixth, seventh and eighth and now own a two games to one lead in the World Series. Hideki Matsui and Nick Swisher also had homers, and Johnny Damon had a critical two-run double.
Lest anyone think this series is over, the Yankees will turn to CC Sabathia on short rest in Game 4 on Sunday. If they don't win that, they face a 2-2 situation against Cliff Lee, who owned them in Game 1. But the Yankees' bats have come out in force for once, and they shouldn't be scared by Joe Blanton on Sunday.
- 76ers 141, Knicks 127: Nothing like rallying from a 15-point deficit at the end of the first quarter and a 19-point halftime deficit and as many as 23 points only to lose by 14 in overtime. Danilo Gallinari, one of the few reasons to watch this team in the early going, had 30 points and eight 3-pointers. The Knicks also got outscored by 20 while he was on the court, so take that with a grain of salt.
- Wizards 123, Nets 104: This loss looks worse when you you factor in that Caron Butler and Antawn Jamison were out. Chris Douglas-Roberts had 25 and Rafer Alston had 20.
- Devils 2, Lightning 1: New Jersey refuses to lose on the road. That's seven straight to start the season, tied for the second longest streak to start the season. David Clarkson scored the only goal in the shootout -- in the fourth round.
- Islanders 5, Sabres 0: Martin Biron got his 200th win. Jeff Tambellini got his first career hat trick. The Islanders are suddenly 4-4-5 after wins against Washington, the Rangers and now Buffalo.
Last Night's Action: Yanks Wake Up to Down Phils
Recent in News
Featured in News
If finalized, the maps could lead to high-profile primaries among veteran lawmakers.
Read More In: